Is Uni worth it.?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Musi

Is Uni worth it.?

Post by Musi » November 27th, 2012, 12:42 am

Chili, In lesson 5 you said that you went to Uni and i was wondering, what course did you do and would you recommend it? Has anyone else done programing at uni?
Musi

There are 10 types of people that understand binary.
Those that do, and those that don't.

icehot

Re: Is Uni worth it.?

Post by icehot » November 27th, 2012, 11:50 am

Yes I used to love programming as a teenager, then I went to uni, and it put me off completely.. it probably is worth going to uni, but it changed my career path completely and I went into IT infrastructure instead. Only now at 33 am I thinking I want to re-learn C++ and want to do game programming as a hobby only - I think programming as a career would suck personally but that's because growing up I only ever did it how I wanted and learnt and wrote what I wanted for fun.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » November 27th, 2012, 1:31 pm

It opens doors, and it's a pretty good experience in terms of university life. In terms of programming, I didn't learn anything there that I couldn't have taught myself with nothing more than an internet-connected computer. I did learn a lot about hardware and stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise because I wouldn't have known where to start or the breadth of the field. It also forces you to study things that you might otherwise never get around to, like advanced calculus, physics, etc.

P.S. I am talking about my own personal experiences in the engineering program I was enrolled in. Your milage may vary if you go the comp. sci. route.
Chili

Shaki

Post by Shaki » November 28th, 2012, 11:38 pm

I have a question I would like to add to this, I don't have the ability to study things IDGAF about (IE: I'll take chem because might as well have ALL sciences but I, honestly don't care for it.), and my grades aren't very high. Would you say Uni determines what people look for in programmers, because TBH the only course I do good in at school is programming, (Proudly with my 97%), and It's frustrating to try and achieve Uni standards. SO, Is Uni weighted more in terms of what you see in the workplace, or do college and Uni people get in the same amount?

edit: I must throw this pun in there. What would you say their... MOL RATIO IS? :twisted: