Space Invaders!!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
nickp

Space Invaders!!

Post by nickp » October 3rd, 2012, 1:26 am

I made this space invaders clone after finishing the beginning series :D

If you find any bugs or ideas to make the code cleaner/more efficient please leave a comment so I could fix it, thanks! BTW, I couldn't have done this without Chili! :)
Attachments
Chili DirectX Framework V12.04.24 (SFX) - Copy.zip
(119.31 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Last edited by nickp on October 3rd, 2012, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickp

Re: Space Invaders!!

Post by nickp » October 3rd, 2012, 1:50 am

Sry that was an outdated folder, I posted it without saving the framework first.
Attachments
Game.cpp
(23.34 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

LuX

Post by LuX » October 3rd, 2012, 12:14 pm

Pretty nice work on the text part and stuff.

One thing you could have done is put the images in an array instead of having millions of single images. Maybe also rework the load image function, dunno at what tutorial that was.

You have also got a timer item in the framework, but instead you use your own timer.... meh.

I also find it a bit annoying that you can only shoot after the current rocket has hit. It kinda takes the feel of control from the game. Maybe make it timed and have multiple rockets.

Another thing is when a barrier gets hit the breaking of the barrier uses smaller pixels than the rest of the game, so if your gonna use large pixels, maybe use the same size in the barrier too, just to keep the game looking smooth.

Enough with the harsh critique. Pretty good work!
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 3rd, 2012, 12:23 pm

I love it when people post their creations! :)

HOWEVER

I hate it when people don't clean their solutions. :evil:

nickp: I've removed your files from the post. Clean your solution and then edit your post and add the zip again.
Chili

nickp

Post by nickp » October 3rd, 2012, 8:54 pm

@Chili: sry bout that, i reposted the cleaned up one :)

Didn't know there was a timer and I don't understand what you mean by having the images in a single array? Btw, In the real arcade game, you can only have 1 bullet shot at one time and each alien can only have 3 bullets on the screen at once. idk if the programmer did that on purpose, or technology in 1970 didn't allow it. :/ I also found that they didn't really move fast enough when there was only a few aliens left, if you wanna increase the numerator in line 644 & 642 you can to make them go faster. :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 4th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Looks good nick, thank for sharing. You code is easy to follow too and seems quite logical. All in all a very nice project indeed. I think some sound effects might make it feel a little more engaging, but that's just a minor esthetic detail.
Chili

nickp

Post by nickp » October 4th, 2012, 8:52 pm

That's the problem. In the constructor, you see commented out audio files. I tried getting them to work but I cant find any 8-bit audio files and the assertion failed. If I ignore the assertion and comment it out, only a fuzzy noise comes out. :/

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 5th, 2012, 5:03 pm

What do you mean you can't find 8-bit audio files.... the framework is set up to only load 16-bit stereo files brah.
Chili