My first Game!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
cameron

My first Game!

Post by cameron » August 10th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Hello everyone.This is my first game using chilidirectxframework it still has some bugs and lots of improvements to be made.If anyone has anything to say about it I would love to here it.
Also big thanks to chili for mouse support and big thanks to whoever added the extra keys to the framework.
Attachments
shipgamev2- Copy.rar
Download this version
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 395 times
Last edited by cameron on August 10th, 2012, 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

LuX

Re: My first Game! Need feedback.

Post by LuX » August 10th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Pretty cool game. I see a lot of improvements here and there that could be added to the game.

I wont even start about your code. It's not like bad or horrible, but the game at this state could be written in 1/1000 of what you have now. For one, things that you use over and over, like buttons, could be made to a function. That would already save a lot of space.

You might also want to invest time on chili's bitmap loading tutorial.

Another thing to point out; once you die, the program still calculates lives and points.

But it's pretty good game anyways, don't get me wrong. Especially for your first one.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

cameron

Post by cameron » August 10th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Thanks Lux I fixed a few things in it thanks for your help.

Natories

Post by Natories » August 10th, 2012, 7:35 pm

cameron,

Hey nice game!
I also noticed the repeating code that could have been reduced, but still overall, nice job for your first!

Natories

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 10th, 2012, 7:38 pm

It looks nice. :)

I would just change couple of things

1. I think you have a bug when you press UP arrow. some pause window apear and after you go to continue it adds you 4-5 more enemies and automaticly switches to hard level i think. try it.
2. When you pick to play hard or very hard enemies shoot too fast ( bullets are to fast and enemies fire them almoust repeatedly) even it is hard dificult you should be able to survive and make kills. Like this I have to focus on avoiding enemies bullets and you don't have time to fire on enemies :)

thats all

you made that game by your own i bet you needed a lot of time. good job cameron.
Programming is my art.

cameron

Post by cameron » August 10th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Yeagh up arrow loads the game and down arrow saves the game I tried that out and it didnt happen for me.Space is shoot and left,right,a,d is how to move, and click for menu select.ps does anyone know why if you full screen the game the menu select and continue buttons are off. Thanks all.

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 10th, 2012, 7:51 pm

cameron wrote:Yeagh up arrow loads the game and down arrow saves the game.
you better put some other buttons for save and load game dear coz people have practice what is the significance of arraws :) they aren't for load or save game :)
Programming is my art.

cameron

Post by cameron » August 10th, 2012, 9:36 pm

So like s for save and l for load? Just off hand what is the difference between * pointer and ->.

chili
Site Admin

Re: My first Game!

Post by chili » August 11th, 2012, 3:17 am

Hey cameron, thanks for uploading your game! I always enjoy seeing users' creations. And thanks to everyone who tryed it out and gave some feedback.

You can't resize the screen because the mouse coordinates will change. If you want to be able to resize you need a way of detecting the current resolution of the screen and then you need to convert window coordinates into game screen coordinates.

* accesses the varible pointed to by a pointer
-> accesses a member of the variable pointed to by a pointer
Chili

cameron

Re: My first Game!

Post by cameron » August 12th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Thanks chili.I love your video tuts.It took me forever to find good tuts like yours that are funny.I love how easy they are to understand.Maybe ill start on a new game soon.