games possible to make

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Pharoah

games possible to make

Post by Pharoah » May 12th, 2012, 8:43 am

HEYY chilli im just wondering if its possible to make a game like halo or call of duty but not with the same graphics and stuff just like a first person shooter like it alone. Is it possible and im still at your first lesson so i don't really know much.

magusofmirrors

Re: games possible to make

Post by magusofmirrors » May 12th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Yes, but it takes time to learn how to program the 3d graphics. After learning enough about game programming, you will require quite a few years to code a fully-functional 3d fps and by then, your game will be severely outdated. If you don't want to join the gaming industry(because pretty much all good games are developed in large groups) and you still want to make that FPS, I recommend learning how to use GameMaker. You don't have to learn so much about programming graphics and they already have a pre-included 3d graphics engine.
The admins are coming!!!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 13th, 2012, 8:07 am

Once you know the language syntax, basic data structures and algorithms, basic 3D math, and how to interface with the graphic adapter, it wouln't be that difficult to make a simple FPS even as a one man project. It might take years for one person to code an engine like Valve's source engine or any of the other AAA 3D engines in use, but a basic FPS engine can be whipped up in a matter of days (or even hours) if you are proficient. The trick is getting proficient, and that does take a lot of time.

Systems like GameMaker have the advantage of a shallower learning curve, giving you more time to devote to generating content, but they have the disadvantage of tying you down to one specific platform, and they are not as extensible as an engine for which you own the source code.
Chili

ghilllie

Post by ghilllie » May 13th, 2012, 9:02 pm

I've recently found a tutorial that explains how 3ds are made using directX and I don't see it hard to learn when you know the simple steps of assigning x,y,z vertices...
Chili++ for President :)