jammin' with c++

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
x_eqis

jammin' with c++

Post by x_eqis » May 4th, 2012, 6:28 pm

hello music maniacs,

I made a little sequenzer / arranger program. It's not useful at all and not even a game. It's also not particularly fun, so I highly recommend you download it instantly.
There are 6 tracks that can each loop 2 bars of certain instruments (bassdrum, snare, bass etc.), and you can trigger them so that they start at the following loop. It's basically the most simple arranger you can imagine, done with chili's new sound function.

It works with 120bpm loops which means that one bar is 2 seconds or 120 frames long.
That makes the whole loop 240frames, so the loop will be re-triggered every 240 frames as long as the player doesn't hit the respective key again.

It's possible to change the .wavs, but they HAVE to be 120bpm, 2 bars or else it will be a most unpleasant hearing experience.

Here are the keys you can press (press again to untrigger)

DOWN - kick
RIGHT - snare
UP - hihat
LEFT - bass
ENTER - some annoying synth
SPACE - marimba

so long,
x_eqis

edit(); just for those of you who don't know anything about music :D ...so what this does is it arranges the song using the single elements, so for example:
-hit left & up and let it loop for some bars (intro)
-hit down & right to trigger the main beat (verse)
-add the rest (space, enter) (and there's your chorus)
-or remove the beat (break)

blabla so although you have only 2 bars of material, you can arrange a song that is like much longer.
the possibilities are unlim....well they're pretty damn limited but it was fun programming anyway.
Attachments
c++jam.rar
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 348 times

LuX

Re: jammin' with c++

Post by LuX » May 4th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Interesting.

Reminded me of that mini game in Mario party where you heard a song and then had to replay it pressing the correct buttons :D
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Re: jammin' with c++

Post by chili » May 5th, 2012, 4:55 am

Fun stuff bro. Looks like you managed to make good use of LuX's utility too. ;)

I was surprised when I looked at the code though, because for some reason I thought it would be longer than that.
Chili