Hi forum!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
cookiez

Hi forum!

Post by cookiez » May 3rd, 2012, 6:56 pm

Hi people!
As you may can guess by the topic, I am new in here. Just wanted to say hi and tell something about myself.
So I am a 19, soon 20 year old student from Germany and a passionate gamer. Besides gaming, I go to the gym, meet friends etc etc! I got into programming C++ by thinking about things that could be improved in games I play. After keep thinking about those ideas, it ultimately came into my mind to try making my own game. I liked programming anyways since I have a course that teaches me and my fellows basic C# in our school. So why not hang on to programming as kind of a hobby.

After I read countless articles about what is necessary for programming and what languages are the most fitting and finally coming to the conclusion that C++ seems to be the most used programming language when it comes to games, I started reading a german book about the basics of C++.

After reading that book, I can count the following aspects of C++ to my knowledge base:
- constants, variables
- operators, expressions
- functions
- arrays
- structures
- pointers
- references

I also coded some programs for educational purposes(Console, basic WinAPI).
So now I decided to take it to the next step and stumbled across chili's videos + forums (After comming across some other people who make lesson, but not with such a funny touch like chili :) ).

So here I am, looking forward to a time full of enlightenment, fun and coding! Of course I already watched the first few of chili's vids. Especially liking the small assignments and tasks that he gives.

So that is it, for now. But do not worry! I will soon be back with questions :)

Greetings, cookiez!

LuX

Re: Hi forum!

Post by LuX » May 3rd, 2012, 7:36 pm

Welcome aboard!
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

cookiez

Post by cookiez » May 3rd, 2012, 7:40 pm

Thank you, LuX!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 4th, 2012, 8:21 am

Hey cookiez, welcome to the board. Thanks for stopping in and saying 'hi'. ;)

If you've already done C# and some C++, I'm afraid that my current tutorial series might be a little too slow for your tastes. But if you stick around for a bit, we'll soon move on to more specific topics such as DirectX and Win32.
Chili

Arnieeeee

Post by Arnieeeee » May 8th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Hi chili,

I would like to thank you for what are doing for us "nobbies" :) It must take a lot of time to prepare a lessons, but from my point of view, you are doing a damn good job. I think that you have a perfect teaching skills :)

I am working as a stress engineer in aerospace company, I have got few years of experience in programming but programming games and working with DirectX have been always great mystery for me :) But since I have found your videos on youtube, I am making a progress :) Now I have just finished lesson 13 and I am looking forward to teach new things. Especially, pointers, which are still hard for my mind to understand :D, but also I am looking forward to learn how to work with textures (I am getting bored with PutPixel method )

Keep on good work man :)

Arnieeeee, Czech Republic

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 8th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Welcome aboard Arnie with too many 'e's. :P

Pointers start at lesson 16 bro, so you're almost there! Let me know if there is anything you couldn't understand from the tutorial when you get to it.
Chili