[UPDATE] Desktop Toybox Game - 0.90 TheToddfather

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
thetoddfather

[UPDATE] Desktop Toybox Game - 0.90 TheToddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 9th, 2012, 1:20 am

Thought I'd work on a few updates to a couple of my games.

Added new unit, the Great Warrior. Moves faster, More HP, Faster Attack. Adds a little diversity to the two armies.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Few little changes and tinkering with an old little gem. Thought I'd share.

Left mouse for the menu.
Right mouse use tool.
Enter clears damage.
Space toggles weapon's mode (Works for gun and men)
Esc exits.

Added a pause feature which is fun for setting up battles or a huge bonfire in the center of the screen and men all around, then unpause and watch the horror.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the most recent version of my program.

New version allows you to place men facing right or left using the weapon option button (Space)
It also defaults to 'windowed mode' so I can test errorrs some people are getting. If you wish to go fullscreen, press F11.

Those that had issues with 0.81, try 0.81b and let me know if it still crashes.

Thanks,
Toddfather.
Attachments
Desktop Toybox.rar
Some may have issues with 0.90. So I rebuilt it in VS 2017, maybe it will update it for better compatibility with Win 10 etc.
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 270 times
Desktop Toybox 0.90.zip
Adds Great Warrior.
(1.82 MiB) Downloaded 334 times
Desktop Toybox 0.82b.rar
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 367 times
Last edited by thetoddfather on April 14th, 2018, 9:57 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Muttley

Re: Desktop Toybox <-- Try my game :)

Post by Muttley » November 9th, 2012, 2:37 am

those dudes look like ants on my screen, pretty good :lol:

adabo

Post by adabo » November 9th, 2012, 7:05 am

Nice work. It's coming along nicely :) The walking people are a nice touch. Surprised me when they died :O

In my opinion, the original title was more appropriate than what you have it changed to. Also calling it a game is misleading, I think.

And, it's still conflicting with my screencapture app. I'm curious what method you are using to take the screenshot. Maybe I can help find another solution, as 3rd party programs should never conflict with each other.

p.s: Why start a new thread for the same project? :?

Sumit

Post by Sumit » November 9th, 2012, 2:37 pm

Awesome work thetodfather.
Sumit

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 9th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Mutley, hahaha, yes, they're only 40 pixels tall if I recall. Going to be sweet when you can sit back and watch an all out battle between the blue and green 'ants' though.

adabo, thanks. Yah, they're more work than they appear. Lots of little decisions going on for each little guy. I'm toying with either Screen Smash, Desktop Sandbox or this name. I think Screen Smash is out because the scope of the 'game' is now going beyond that of just smashing your screen. I don't know, still thinking on it, perhaps others would like to cast their vote or comments? As far as if it's a game goes, I guess it depends on how you define a game. Certainly not a 'game' in the sense of highscores and such, but I plan on implimenting stats, so you can view a menu and see how many guys you squished, burnt, shot (And where: Head, body,legs), how many men you've created, which team has killed more of each other (green/blue) ... etc. And each time it loads it adds to your career totals and resaves them much like our high-score list. I don't know if it should be classified as a 'game', but I also don't see it as misleading anyone either. The screen cap thing is most likely due to my rather antiquated screen cap routine. It uses your printscreen virtual key and I have issues if I try to do a screen cap as well. I just don't think I have the time to try an find the problem and fix it since it's pretty solid now on the overwhelming majority of modern machines running 7, and even tested on a couple windows 8s now.

I started the new thread cause the old one was 8 pages long of all my issues I had making this game. I wanted a clean start where the discussion could be more centered around the gameplay, since most of the glitches and such are behind me.

Sorry if that was a bad thing to do :cry:

Sumit, thanks man! Hope you had some fun ;)

So I just wanted to post this one up. If your computer is old I would stick to the one above. Just for fun I massively upped the green and blue man count. AND the fire count. AND the fire's duratioin. I also improved the laser sight on the gun a little :twisted:

Obviously I will have to cut back on these numbers when I put more units in, but it's rather entertaining to play with the numbers. Thought I'd share.

Fun recommendation if it runs nice on your computer,
1) drop all 100 green
2) drop all 100 blue
3) go to the center of the screen with your zippo
4) click in the middle like a mad man.
5) Watch the chaos.
6) Profit.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 17th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Most recent version of my little program is up. Still lots to do and a few issues left to fix, but let me know what you guys think

Zionich

Re: Desktop Toybox <-- Try my program :)

Post by Zionich » December 19th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Wow that was awesome. My little man loved it also.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 19th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Thanks so much Zionich! That is really good to hear because I actually pretty much wrote this for my little man to tinker away with!! He's 12 and loves it too.

I am thinking of putting in little bases for each side that spawn new guys every so often and you can just sit back and watch the battle. Ultimately I hope to add archers too. And if I add the bases I may add a resource collector unit that holds a shovel and digs up your screens pixels and brings them back to base for money. Then the unit spawn would be governed by resources collected rather than time.

But I don't know. I'd love input and ideas for sure

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 19th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Nice work, That kept me occupied for a while.
I love the soldiers, It's a good touch.. ;)

That is some good work, I would love to see what new features you add to this. :)
-Socks

Vellelzza

Post by Vellelzza » December 19th, 2012, 8:56 pm

This doesn't work for me it just crashes right after starting, I'm using windows 7