VS Text Editing Help

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Walka

VS Text Editing Help

Post by Walka » August 10th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Is there a way to turn off the feature to where VS auto highlights text. It's hard to explain what this feature is or whats its doing but I included I screen shot and I highlighted in red what I don't like. Basically I want this to act like a regular text editor. Does anybody have any idea what I'm trying to describe and/or how to turn it off.
Attachments
Untitled.png
(82.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Zedtho

Re: VS Text Editing Help

Post by Zedtho » August 10th, 2017, 4:26 pm

It looks like you're just selecting the code. I do recall having had an odd thing happen where the selecting goes mad and it deletes all kinds of stuff. Restarting Visual Studio fixed it for me.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 10th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Try going to Tools / Options, then look through the settings. You might find what you are looking for under Text Editor, then under one of those settings.

If all else, use Notepad, Notepad++, VIM or another editor and when you are ready to compile, import the files into your Visual Studio project before compiling. I would suggest Visual Code, but it probably has the same syntax highlighting as Visual Studio.

Honestly, not sure why you'd want to disable highlighting. I find it quite useful and fret when it's not working. I use it to find at a glance or quick scroll, variables I may want to change or delete. The matching brace and matching parentheses are helpful as well, if you miss one somewhere a couple pages down. To each his/her own though.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » August 10th, 2017, 8:48 pm

just go where albinopapa says, but Text Editor -> C/C++ -> View, change Highlight Matching Tokens under Miscellaneous
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 10th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Thanks for the save Luis, didn't want to look further. Figured I'd get'em close and they could figure out/search for the rest.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Walka

Post by Walka » August 11th, 2017, 4:55 am

Ok thanks for that. The reason I want to disable it is because I'm used to 2010 version and that wasn't in there. I can definitely see where that would come in handy but for now its causing me to delete shit that I don't want to lol

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 11th, 2017, 5:54 am

That's never good.