Attack on the Forest

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Attack on the Forest

Post by albinopapa » August 3rd, 2017, 6:47 am

Hey Zed!

How's the project coming? I've updated the framework some and it might be useful to you, especially the fixed sprite drawing bugs. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the DrawReverse functions, but added functions to clone a mirrored version of the sprites and frames. Let me know if you need any help implementing this stuff.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » August 3rd, 2017, 8:38 am

The project's doing well, I've been working on sprites. I can't get the Alpha channel to work though (Image is saved as .png from Gimp, 60x100.). I might've not saved it correctly in Gimp, so I'll re-do that, then I'll update this post. Also, to add your new stuff, do I just do the same Engine stuff as before?

I'm going to get all the sprites done for the person running and stuff before I continue on.
After I've done that I want to be able to attack a "monster" (here still red cube, bit wide for a monster too). Then, the monster should get sprites and be able to move around and attack me. Then I'll add the tower in the middle of the screen which gets attacked by the monsters. I'll have to figure out when the monsters attack me and when they attack the tower, though.

I should add that the character colliding with the square below is a bit compressed, because my laptop screen isn't 1920x1080, but I want that 1920x1080 for my desktop later on. The other image is the actual character.

Edit: Can't figure out how to make the black of that image transparent. Internet resources aren't helping either :(

Edit 2: Got the Alpha Channel to work!
Attachments
Yay, it's working.PNG
Yay, it's working.PNG (2.27 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Character_South_Standing.png
Character_South_Standing.png (23.72 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Odd Alpha Stuff happening.PNG
Odd Alpha Stuff happening.PNG (2.22 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 3rd, 2017, 3:49 pm

Good deal. Glad to see you figured out the alpha transparency.
Also, to add your new stuff, do I just do the same Engine stuff as before?
Not sure what you mean exactly.
I'm using the same Chili Framework 2016, just heavily modified. It's almost unrecognizable except for the Chili license comments atop his files.

The interface for Graphics is the same, with the addition of PutPixelAlpha, DrawCircle and DrawCircleAlpha (<- bad name for what it really does ).

The Scene_ classes aren't meant to be a part of your pojects, they are testing grounds for development that I leave in there to show how things work.

Some files you don't include directly, they are used by other classes, like FontSheet, TextFormat and DWriteIniitlaizer are all used by Font. WICInitializer and ImageLoader are used by Sprite and by extension AlphaSprite, SpriteSheet, FontSheet and Frames.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » August 5th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'll just have to do what I did before then :D

By the way, the project is making good progress. I just switched from laptop to desktop, but I don't know how to downgrade the solution to VS 2015 (Laptop has 2017, desktop 2015). Google didn't give me any good results either, sadly.

TL;DR How do I open a v141(VS 2017) solution in VS 2015? (Somehow Albinopapa manages to, so it has to be possible?)
Last edited by Zedtho on August 5th, 2017, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 5th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Project/ properties/...

On left, choose top option and general, then on right change build option to v140

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » August 5th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Thanks! :D

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 5th, 2017, 2:14 pm

I guess after General, on the right side it's Platform Tooset.

I do it a lot, but never look for the setting, just the v140 or v141 and change to what I need.

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » August 5th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Nevermind, it works now! Today I learned that sdk != v140 stuff. Sorry for derping and wasting your time :P

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 5th, 2017, 3:58 pm

No prob.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 7th, 2017, 1:23 am

Doesn't even give Chili the credit for the save. SMH
Chili