A math question

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
cyboryxmen

A math question

Post by cyboryxmen » July 3rd, 2017, 6:07 am

Is the square root of infinity bigger or smaller than infinity?
Zekilk

Pindrought

Re: A math question

Post by Pindrought » July 3rd, 2017, 6:27 am

smaller imo

ETA: I know people will say sqart(infinity) = infinity which is true, but just saying theoretically infinity>1 and the square root of any number > 1 is less than the starting number.
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 3rd, 2017, 6:34 am

Really, infinity isn't a number, it's like asking, "What's the square root of an apple?"
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » July 3rd, 2017, 9:25 am

^
What papa said. It's a mathematical concept, not a number

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » July 3rd, 2017, 11:17 am

Yep, gotta agree with albinopapa

FinalL

Post by FinalL » July 3rd, 2017, 2:03 pm

I'm pretty sure any root of infinity is infinity, because of the logic of the infinity concept of real numbers' extension.
Many noodles, one sauce.
'Programming rules: #1 - Everything is just a fucking number.' Chili, 2012
Mainly Discord procrastinator

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 3rd, 2017, 4:26 pm

FinalL wrote:I'm pretty sure any root of infinity is infinity, because of the logic of the infinity concept of real numbers' extension.
Is that the concept that there are an infinite amount of numbers between integers and therefore more real numbers than integers?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » July 7th, 2017, 4:04 pm

cyboryxmen wrote:Is the square root of infinity bigger or smaller than infinity?
Well the question is - as papa already pointed out - invalid.
Infinity is introduced in infinite series math and is also called uncertain limit. It is one of the answers to a question - does the particular series converge? There are 3(I don't know -maybe more) answers to this question:
1.) Yes they converge to a limit.
2.) No they diverge uncertainly(for example jump between numbers -1 and 1)
3.) No they certainly diverge to uncertain limit

Now correct question that you are asking would be: Does a square root of certainly diverging series also certainly diverge ?
The answer is yes(and if i translate it to your question then no) - and proof to that is the so called minor criteria which is an analogy of major criteria(a method of comparison between series which converge to zero). I am not going to explain this madness :? here in detail - if you really wish to know you should read an academic text about mathematical series - I can provide a link if you are fluent in german.

Incredibly enough there is a direct visual proof of what you ask here in Chili's tutorial series - it's in old beginner tutorial 9.
The pattern would have rings regardless of whether one uses square or root value of the distance.
It does however affect the distance between rings aka divergence zones . You can see my explanation on this thread.
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 8th, 2017, 7:27 am

Yeah, I was going to say the concept of inifity only really makes sense in the context of limits.
Chili

cyboryxmen

Post by cyboryxmen » July 12th, 2017, 6:35 pm

krautersuppe wrote:I am not going to explain this madness :? here in detail - if you really wish to know you should read an academic text about mathematical series - I can provide a link if you are fluent in german.
Ja bitte.
Zekilk