Having trouble with downloading / using the tutorial code

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
_MJ_

Having trouble with downloading / using the tutorial code

Post by _MJ_ » June 30th, 2017, 5:23 am

Hi all,

I'm going through tutorial 7 right now and I don't know how to properly put the tutorial code to use. I downloaded it, unzipped it and opened Chili Framework 2016da. Then I tried to go into debug mode and I get a list of errors on the bottom but no popups like in the tutorial and I can't open the call stack.

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks!

xu2201g

Re: Having trouble with downloading / using the tutorial cod

Post by xu2201g » June 30th, 2017, 5:40 am

Hi,
some more details would be good to pin down the problem, like the error messages etc. The errors you get are build errors? I am using visual studio 2017 and had to retarget the project to make it run properly right after opening the solution.

_MJ_

Post by _MJ_ » June 30th, 2017, 4:40 pm

What do you mean exactly by retarget? I included a screenshot, hope it helps.
Attachments
ChiliScreenshot7.png
(107.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet

cameron

Post by cameron » June 30th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Right click the solution in the solution explorer and retarget it. Alternatively, you can change the platform toolset by right clicking your project and going to project properties.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

_MJ_

Post by _MJ_ » June 30th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Thanks, I retargeted the solution and when start debug mode I get this. Close but not exactly the same as in the tutorial. Is this OK?
Attachments
ChiliScreenshot7.png
(54.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 30th, 2017, 7:26 pm

This exception is saying that y >= Graphics::ScreenHeight, so somewhere in your code, a pixel is trying to be drawn off screen.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

xu2201g

Post by xu2201g » June 30th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Ye thats ok, you watched the callstack already to find this line, didnt you? Now you ve at least two options, you could try to find the error by some intuition and the information given by the assertion which failed:

Code: Select all

assert(y < int(Graphics::ScreenHeight));

//an assertion checks the expression to be true, if its not the assertion fails with an error like u got there
or you go down the callstack even more to get more informations what went wrong there.

The solution you re working with is one of the homeworks just in case you didnt noticed.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 30th, 2017, 9:01 pm

xu2201g wrote:Ye thats ok, you watched the callstack already to find this line, didnt you? Now you ve at least two options, you could try to find the error by some intuition and the information given by the assertion which failed:

Code: Select all

assert(y < int(Graphics::ScreenHeight));

//an assertion checks the expression to be true, if its not the assertion fails with an error like u got there
or you go down the callstack even more to get more informations what went wrong there.

The solution you re working with is one of the homeworks just in case you didnt noticed.
+1 on answer/response
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 30th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Too bad chili forums don't have the capability to give kudos points or something for good Qs&As.

_MJ_

Post by _MJ_ » June 30th, 2017, 11:10 pm

Thanks a lot for all the help!