Stuck on homework for lesson 15.

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Adzang

Stuck on homework for lesson 15.

Post by Adzang » June 14th, 2017, 6:57 am

Hi everyone,
I am a complete noob when it comes to programming so if I ask some questions that seem really dumb you understand why :P.
Just wondering with homework for lesson 15 the box2d seems to have been changed to C and is no longer in C++ or am I doing something wrong because after I clone it and it says success I click on it and it goes to home screen as expected but there is no solution found. Been at this for 5 hours now trying to work out whats going wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

albinopapa

Re: Stuck on homework for lesson 15.

Post by albinopapa » June 14th, 2017, 4:59 pm

As far as the Box2D files, there is no solution. You only need to put the Box2D folder into your VC++ Directories \ Includes under your project settings, then #include <Box2D.h> at the top of your project.

Have you read the Building.txtfile?

He suggests putting the Box2D subfolder into your project, then you can import them into your project and then #include "Box2D.h". The other stuff about premake5, you'd have to ask someone else or figure it out on your own, I haven't dealt with premake only CMake and even then, I rely on step by step instructions.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Adzang

Post by Adzang » June 14th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Ah ok cool tyvm. The video tutorial might need a little changing or comments added so noobs like me don't get stuck :P.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 15th, 2017, 12:43 am

There is a solution file for visual studio, but you have to look for it. It involves exploring and thinking a little though ;)

Edit:
It seems they have changed the build steps. That's annoying; I might have to redo the homework solution video.

Here are the steps for Visual Studio 2017:
- Command line: premake5 vs2017
- Open the resulting Box2D.sln (should be in Build/vs2017)
- Set Testbed as the startup project
- In the Testbed debugging properties, set the Working Directory to ..\..\Testbed
- Press F5 to build and run the Testbed
Chili

Adzang

Post by Adzang » June 15th, 2017, 6:10 am

Yeah just a little annoying but its only a small change although for the purpose of that home work kinda ruins what you were getting people to do. I did end up figuring it out that thanks to albinopapa pointing me in the right direction.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 15th, 2017, 6:14 am

I think when chili covered vcpkg, you were able to choose Box2D, that maybe another route.

Did you have to install Premake? Did you do the TestBed also?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Adzang

Post by Adzang » June 15th, 2017, 6:53 am

Had to get Premake5 no install required tho. I just put it into the same directory that I had to unpack the build files from and ran command prompt cd'd that directory and typed premake5 vs2015.
The build folder and its contents as far as I could tell was all it had to do but just means I couldn't clone so I just went into build folder,vs2015 and opened Box2D from there.

Tsplinter

Post by Tsplinter » April 27th, 2018, 10:54 pm

It's most likely nothing a nap wouldn't fix

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 28th, 2018, 5:15 am

Another thing you can do is go back in time to a commit right around (maybe a little before) when the video was published. Then you'd be working with about the exact same code as I was when making the video. The power of Git.
Chili