Please Review my game :D

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
eyad

Please Review my game :D

Post by eyad » March 20th, 2017, 9:04 pm

well after 47 hours and 2 mins :D , i finally finished my first project (from scratch) using chilli framework
and some help from chilli himself + some other members in discord (thanks to all and everyone of them)

actually i lied, i just finished the first phase of my game which is Graphics and implementation.
the other 2 phases are AI and My touch as Novice Game designer (so the game don't be a mere replica :D)

looks like you wonder what is the game... Ittttttttttttttttttt iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssss CHESS ... yea just chess :D but its complete every possible detail is done so its not a prototype, its a working fully functional super awesome Chess :p

i hope that any or all of you review my code itself and possibly test the game :v just so that i can learn from my mistake and improve my overall coding style, maybe even tell me to re-implement the game using a certain design pattern or whatever just read the code and scream on my horrible and poor decisions i took to make this Masterpiece :lol:

note 3: castling can be done by clicking the king then the Rook or vice versa
note 2: run the game in RELEASE mode else you will not get the Sexy Graphics :v
note 1: in Game::updateModel() you can disable turns by changing the HandleInput() parameter

*known issues for update 1*
castling work even if some tiles are under threat
en passant works even if more than a turn passed
white edges appear when a piece is over a black tile
Attachments
Chess.rar
update 1
Fixed Castling and added "en passant"
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
Chess.rar
update 0
created using Vs 2015 community
chilli framework 2016
it is a git project, so you can check previous commits
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 170 times
Last edited by eyad on March 21st, 2017, 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Byteraver

Re: Please Review my game :D

Post by Byteraver » March 20th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Cool! You did not implement the rockade though? Also, there is one more obscure move to implement, named "en passant", see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fcvS9lvbs8 :)
Gotta be complete eh :p
Otherwise a solid base to make a chess game, gfx are top notch, no glitches. Works good, keep it up! Can't wait to play against your AI :)

Multibyte

Post by Multibyte » March 21st, 2017, 3:40 am

Good job. You are clearly far ahead of me. ;) I am currently trying to avoid Chili's poos. :lol: Next is the snake wagon. :mrgreen:

eyad

Post by eyad » March 21st, 2017, 10:00 am

Byteraver wrote:Cool! You did not implement the rockade though? Also, there is one more obscure move to implement, named "en passant", see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fcvS9lvbs8 :)
Gotta be complete eh :p
Otherwise a solid base to make a chess game, gfx are top notch, no glitches. Works good, keep it up! Can't wait to play against your AI :)
actually i implemented the "rockade" and named it "en passant" - i obviously didn't know anything about "en passant" and mistook it with the other move :lol: , so thanks for clarifying that to me :mrgreen:
(you can do this move by clicking on king then rook or vice versa)

about the AI, i hope that it plays better than me (cause i kinda suck :P ).
thanks dude for checking it out (will implement "en passant" and re-upload the solution)

eyad

Post by eyad » March 21st, 2017, 10:07 am

Multibyte wrote:Good job. You are clearly far ahead of me. ;) I am currently trying to avoid Chili's poos. :lol: Next is the snake wagon. :mrgreen:
chili poo was tough when i was first done it + what twisted universe you live in where your worst enemy is just POOs.

don't worry you will get there, i did this game after i finished all the chilli's old tutorials (beginner,intermediate,advanced)
but still the new one (REBOOT) got Alot more info in a smaller overall time + more practice than the old one. so you may actually surpass the ones who learned only from the old series :mrgreen:
anyways good luck to you , and thanks for checking it out
Last edited by eyad on March 21st, 2017, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » March 21st, 2017, 11:36 am

Looking good bro! A couple of issues:

En passant was mentioned, and it seems that castling is not working either (I could not get it to work). Also, the white border around the pieces is distracting on dark squares. Consider either using two versions, onoe with a light board and one with a dark, or better yet, using alpha blending and having translucent edges that blend with the background.

Can't wait to see what you do with the AI. Since you have the basic move validation stuff done, it will not be hard to get a simple minimax running that will make the AI play fairly intelligently.
Chili

eyad

Post by eyad » March 21st, 2017, 12:22 pm

chili wrote:Looking good bro! A couple of issues:

En passant was mentioned, and it seems that castling is not working either (I could not get it to work). Also, the white border around the pieces is distracting on dark squares. Consider either using two versions, onoe with a light board and one with a dark, or better yet, using alpha blending and having translucent edges that blend with the background.

Can't wait to see what you do with the AI. Since you have the basic move validation stuff done, it will not be hard to get a simple minimax running that will make the AI play fairly intelligently.
well, there was a simple issue that made castling don't work if you Selected the ROOK first then the KING , but its fixed and should work now .
yea alpha blending is a must, will do it next :mrgreen: just forgot which videos it was in :P (will find it tho)

ThreeNPlusOne

Post by ThreeNPlusOne » March 29th, 2017, 12:31 am

The white King and Queen are definitely in the wrong positions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess#Setup