Does the Framework limit

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Mrbeefy193

Does the Framework limit

Post by Mrbeefy193 » March 17th, 2017, 6:52 pm

I was looking at a few of the first c++ tutorials chili put out they looked good however I was wondering if he teaches us later on how to do what we did without the framework so that I am not limited to only knowing how to code in the framework

albinopapa

Re: Does the Framework limit

Post by albinopapa » March 18th, 2017, 2:14 am

Much later I believe it's in his plans to go over the Direct3D API which should allow you to reproduce your own framework. Of course you can also visit places like rastertek.com and go through their Direct3D 11 tutorials to get a leg up.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » March 18th, 2017, 2:17 am

This is a common fear that beginners have, and is unfounded. Basically, when you're a beginner, any experience you're gonna get is gonna be good for you. Starting out in C++, whether you use my framework or just write console-based text processing applications (like traditional beginner approaches), the focus is mainly on the language, not on the specific platform. The only difference between my approach and the traditional one is that, I start things off graphical from day 1, so instead of learning about text processing stuff to start from, you're learning about games ideas like position, movement, drawing loops, etc.

If you're afraid of getting 'locked into' the framework because you've invested so much time learning how it works, remember what I said in Tutorial 0. The framework is tiny and has a trivial interface; in the 15 or so hours of the beginner series, only 4 or so functions that I teach are from the framework. All the rest of the material is general stuff that applies to whatever you're doing (generally games-focused though).
Chili

cyboryxmen

Post by cyboryxmen » March 18th, 2017, 5:25 am

It's also relevant to note that you can't really code without a "framework". If you are going to code with an existing OS, you're going to have to work with code that is already there that's written by the OS. That means that even if plan on coding without the Chilli framework or DirectX, you still need to go through Windows to get access to the functions you need for graphics.

Even if you just code a program to work on a computer with no OS, you'll still need to deal with the microprocessor's BIOS which allows you access to the memory on the computer. In the end, you'll still have to work with other people's code unless you're planning on just making your own computer from scratch with purely your own code. If you do that, then your program probably won't work on most Windows machines since it doesn't use Windows code and doesn't function like a Windows program should. Trust me when I say that you'll go far if you learn to work with other people's code.
Zekilk