Hunt soldiers GAME

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Theo

Re: Hunt soldiers GAME

Post by Theo » March 1st, 2017, 3:20 am

ok thanks

DonJohnnie

Post by DonJohnnie » March 3rd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Added the baisc elements for a Shield. At the moment it's always on the screen, to the left of the soldier, but I'll try to make it a power-up you you can get and also activate it with the key A or D (to the soldier's left or right).

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » March 4th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Haha, shield looks cool. Need to change directions when you move tho :D

Nice work on the mouse shooting stuff! Keep it up.
Chili

DonJohnnie

Post by DonJohnnie » March 4th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Thanks again for the appreciation m'Chili xD

Now with the last commit you'll be happy to see the sweet direction-changing system of the Shield.

That being said:
New control keys:
A - make the shield protect your left side;
D - make the shield protect your right side;

Initially I was thinking about binding the Shield direction with the Soldier's (so when the Soldier is running to the left he has the Shield to his left, analogue right side), but I think it's more fun if you can change how you want the direction. Also didn't bother to make the Soldier able to hold the Shield over his head (i.e upside) because that idea seems kinda off in my imagination lol (maybe because I first wanted a tactical shield for the sprite - but didn't find any - and a soldier with something like that over his head seems silly at least to me).

Also a FeelsGoodMan moment when after not too much time you get the functions right (had to put some conditions so the soldier can't activate the shield on the right side if he's already reached the max width of the screen; but when he has the shield on the left side he can fully touch the right side [but obviously can't re-activate it there while he's still in that range]; and when the shield is not activated at all he can move with no boundaries, besides the vanilla ones of course).

DonJohnnie

Post by DonJohnnie » March 5th, 2017, 11:23 am

More new stuff:

1.Weapons [Pistol, Assault Rifle (which i guess you could say was already in)]: you start with pistol which has more cooldown and slower bullet travel speed than Assault Rifle.
2.Added one more sprite for the Soldier (now you can see what he's holding, pistol or AR).
3.Crate type (power-up). It spawn quite early in the game in the upper part of the screen and it changes your pistol to the Assault Rifle.
4.Game over sprites (won/lost).
5.Restart option: press ENTER if you lose/win

Also there seems to be a problem with drawing off the screen. This may have to do with the reset functions but I don't think so... I'm setting all bullets to out so that's shouldn't be it... If anybody has an idea about what it could be, be sure to write it here :D. Note that this happens VERY rarely....

Battlefrog

Post by Battlefrog » March 5th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Nice game! It's pretty fun, and a bit hard as well!

However, some times after respawning it seems as though you don't check where the player is when spawning, or you do but don't take into consideration how big the player is, because in some cases it just throws a x > Graphics::ScreenWidth, or something like that.

Other than that, nice game!
Broc W.

Sole Member of Sledgehog Software, trademark and LLC status pending.

DonJohnnie

Post by DonJohnnie » March 5th, 2017, 6:00 pm

I pretty much triple-checked all uniform distributions and everything seems fine (none go past 600 x , or 500 y, -soldier or enemies, and the endgame is also fine... )

Tried about 25 times without debugging - no errors;
After that tried ONE time with debugging and some x>= ScreenWidth appears outta nowhere.
And again, afther that, still in debugging mode, no more errors

If i try rebuilding the solution and run with debugger again - no errors...

I don't really see where the problem can be so for the time being I'll just call it an easter egg (like somebody said in some other thread lol).

Maybe Chili or some other OG can enlighten me :D

DonJohnnie

Post by DonJohnnie » March 9th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Added Health type, now the Soldier has 3 hp and the enemies have 2.

Also modified enemies' speed and the crate's timer.

Overall I think I'm all out with this game, I can't think of anything interesting to add. Any more power-ups wouldn't really be something because it's just an RectF and a collision test (meh - pretty boring right?); so for the time being I think I'll just wait for Chili to get to some more interesting stuff in the series, and then I'll start brainstorming for another project probably, using the new information

If some of you notice any bugs, please point them out :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » March 12th, 2017, 6:32 am

Hey bro, i just tried pulling the latest changes off of you repo.

I get this when building: error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __cdecl Health::operator==(int const &)const "
Chili

DonJohnnie

Post by DonJohnnie » March 12th, 2017, 8:57 am

Uhh I don't know why it did that. "It ran on my machine fine brah"
The files for the Health class were definitely there. :/

I synced some small stuff I've chanced in the last few days and it should work fine now.

Let me now if that's so Chili :D

Note:
I didn't commit some Engine.vcxproj changes since I'm trying out VS2017
Also : i don't know why the Health.h appears in the External branch instead of Headers. It's the same now but before I guess the header wasn't linking with the cpp file, and thus it couldn't find the definition for the == operator. I defined it in-class so now it should be good to go (for me it works at least, even the repo clone)