Spirograph what I did from lesson 10

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Asimov

Spirograph what I did from lesson 10

Post by Asimov » May 23rd, 2012, 12:04 am

Hi all,

After making a square and then getting the function to work for drawing a line, I had a go at something I did on graph paper at school.

I am not sure if I could have written it better, but I am rusty at C++.

Anyway just to show I am learning. Hope to carry on with the tutorials now.

I might do this again with randomizing the colour soon as well, just can't remember the code for randomizing yet. It is usually RND, but it is ages since I needed to use it.

Would be cool if I could making this spin, but then it would be back to maths again LOL. Probably something to do with cosine or something.

Code: Select all

void Game::star()
{
	int movey=20;
	for (int movex=400; movex < 650; movex=movex+10)
		{
			gfx.DrawLine(400,movey,movex,250,0,255,0);
			if (movey < 250) movey=movey+10;
		}
	// Hieght
	movey=500;
	//across
	for (int movex=400; movex < 650; movex=movex+10)
		{
			gfx.DrawLine(400,movey,movex,250,255,0,0);
			if (movey > 250) movey=movey-10;
		}
	movey=500;
	//across
	for (int movex=400; movex > 150; movex=movex-10)
		{
			gfx.DrawLine(400,movey,movex,250,255,0,0);
			if (movey > 250) movey=movey-10;
		}
	movey=20;
	for (int movex=400; movex > 150; movex=movex-10)
		{
			gfx.DrawLine(400,movey,movex,250,0,255,0);
			if (movey < 250) movey=movey+10;
		}

}

Attachments
star.jpg
(61.78 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

LuX

Re: Spirograph what I did from lesson 10

Post by LuX » May 23rd, 2012, 11:08 am

Looks cool.
for a random number, use rand() % *maximum value*, which will then generate a random value between 0 and your maximum value.

It's not 100% random however....

You can use a seed to randomize, which will always display the same value, like this:

srand(*seed as a number*);
int x = rand() % 100;

In this case, whatever you input as seed, it will display the same value each time you run the program at the same seed.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 23rd, 2012, 2:13 pm

This is some funky shit bro, I like it. :)

It would be really easy to make it rotate too. Wanna see? ;)
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » May 23rd, 2012, 4:03 pm

Hi Chilli,

Yes I would like to see.

I am pretty good at working out problems, but my mathematics suffer.

I am guessing it is somehow translating the value of Pi to coordinates.

In my Dalek draughts game I think I used something called a quaternion, but that was in C# and XNA.
Just rotating my board took a lot of research.

@Lux: thanks for the heads up on the randomize. I switch between languages quite a lot and I somehow get my syntaxes mixed up. Now I can randomize my colours heh heh.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 24th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Rockin' spinnaz yo! :lol:
Attachments
Spirocrap.zip
(169.7 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » May 24th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Hypnotizing... This is gonna be my new screensaver : -D

Just one question, like I couldn't google it, but I think its interesting if people write more stuff here:
Is there any difference in 0.001f and 0.001, if the variable is already defined to be a floating number?

Oh, and also a tip for PI:
Normally you can't access math.h's pi, but if you add this:

#define _USE_MATH_DEFINES
#include "math.h"

You can then use M_PI as an accurate pi
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » May 24th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Here's my screensaver mod : -]
You start off with one star flying around, but you can clone it by clicking on it.
The stars will reduce size and split into two, you can click on 'em until you have small specs flying around.

It's still buggy but i'm not interested enough to make it better... Some problems are that sometimes you are only able to clone by clicking the "mother" star, sometimes the stars get stuck on the border, and usually cloning them will spawn them at a completely different location, but you get the idea.

The screen should automatically adjust to your screen size, and you can close it by pressing space.

Fun little thing. I used chili's version to make this...
Fix for the position glitch is btw at the bottom where it says sy = sx[n]; when it should be sy = sy[n];
It should also fix the bug where the stars get stuck at the bottom.
Attachments
Spirocrap LuX Screensaver Mod.rar
(134.76 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Last edited by LuX on May 24th, 2012, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » May 24th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Hi Chilli,

Thank you that is amazing.

I have been studying your code. I know you are using cosine and sine to produce the effect, but I am not sure how it works. The shape is created by four loops, so the centre of rotation must be set to the centre of the shape. I like to know how it works, not that it just works if you know what I mean.
I do wish I was better at maths geometry. I am going to play about with the code and see if I can work it out

I have just started on your circle tutorial. I like the way you described how pythagorus is used to work out how to draw the circle. I am going to have to re watch it a few times before I understand the theory. I am afraid I start with good intentions and I slowly get lost heh heh

I notice that you add the f to 1.000f when using rotations. I believe this is used to show the degree of rotation (I might have typed that number wrong, but the question is still the same heh heh).

I am going back to study your code a bit more now.

@Lux. I love your screen saver. I like the way it auto resizes to the size of the screen. I do have a question though. I notice at times it goes slightly off the screen without it crashing. Are you making the screen bigger than the screen we can see to stop it crashing?

Asimov
----> Asimov

LuX

Post by LuX » May 24th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Nah. I just modify the PutPixel, so that it only draws pixels withing the screen. This will come later in tutorials, and I don't recommend using it earlier, as the normal PutPixel tells if you messed up something, so it should be used after you are sure you know that you can code stuff correctly.

As for them going outside a bit, it is on purpose, otherwise the larger stars would look stupid when they bounce off when they barely hit the wall.

Fix for the position glitch is btw at the bottom where it says sy = sx[n]; when it should be sy = sy[n];
It should also fix the bug where the stars get stuck at the bottom.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 25th, 2012, 1:42 am

Asimov wrote:I notice that you add the f to 1.000f when using rotations. I believe this is used to show the degree of rotation (I might have typed that number wrong, but the question is still the same heh heh).
LuX wrote:Just one question, like I couldn't google it, but I think its interesting if people write more stuff here:
Is there any difference in 0.001f and 0.001, if the variable is already defined to be a floating number?
Actually, the suffix 'f' here is just a specifier which tells the compiler what data type the literal constant is meant as. If you just type '0.01', the compiler interprets that as a double-precision floating point number (a double). You need to type '0.01f' if you want to specify a single-precision floating point number (a float). A double is 64 bits and and float is 32 bits.
Asimov wrote:I like to know how it works, not that it just works if you know what I mean.
I will be covering this topic in the not-too-distant future (within 6-10 lessons from now I guess). The basic math is this:

x' = x * cos(t) - y * sin(t)
y' = y * cos(t) + x * cos(t)
Chili