Lesson Game Ideas [Finished]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Lesson Game Ideas [Finished]

Post by chili » April 8th, 2012, 2:42 pm

So, as I mentioned in Lesson 13, I'm open to any ideas you guys may have for what game I will make in the next capstone tutorial. After a few weeks, I'll take the ones that I think are both interesting and viable and I will run a poll on this forum so you guys can vote on which one you want the most.

Hint: being realistic in your proposals will enhance the chances of your idea being picked up for the poll.

----
[Edit]
I've basically decided based on what I hear from you guys that a side scrolling platformer will be the best bet, so that's what I'm going with. Unstickied this topic accordingly. Thanks guys for all your input!
Chili

Dlotan

Re: Lesson Game Ideas

Post by Dlotan » April 10th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Okay here are some ideas of simple games which i already coded and which are quiet simple
I hope i helped...

Appreciate ur work

Dlotan

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 11th, 2012, 7:26 am

Thanks for the ideas Dlotan.

I was actually thinking of a good way to introduce recursion.

When I read Game of Life, at first I was like :shock: :roll: because I thought you meant the board game. :lol:
Chili

Voxavs

Post by Voxavs » April 15th, 2012, 8:39 pm

I would like to see some lame rougelike in the distant future. You could show how to make something to generate randomly and also how to tie together all the numbers in those types of games. Of course it is too hardcore for now, but still maybe someday.
On a second thought forget it it was a dumb idea.

As an achievable goal I can suggest http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Lander_(arcade_game)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 17th, 2012, 2:15 pm

It may be a dumb idea, but it's something I was thinking of basically from the beginning so it might very well happen bro. 8-)
Chili

Voxavs

Post by Voxavs » April 17th, 2012, 3:53 pm

It may be a dumb idea, but it's something I was thinking of basically from the beginning so it might very well happen bro.
I think this Idea is a bit dumb cos it's a huge task, might be a too big bite to chew, but in terms of mechanic and explaining how to make it all work rouglikes are the best.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 18th, 2012, 12:54 am

Yeah, it's not something that I would like to tackle all in one video, but I think it would work if I broke it up into sections over a number of lessons. It won't be any time soon, but eventually it is something that I would like to try.
Chili

Voxavs

Post by Voxavs » April 18th, 2012, 10:52 am

I'll be waiting for that day to come :D

FoxDonut

Re: [Sticky] Lesson Game Ideas

Post by FoxDonut » May 7th, 2012, 9:51 pm

I would like to see a little work with animated sprites that can move around a static or moving screen..

Player can Jump, run, etc.
Enemies that cause damage, or spikes
buttons you can step on to activate door.

I haven't worked with AI yet, but will be getting a book soon, so the enemies could very well just be randomly walking left and right and you accidentally jump on them..

I would way rather start with a simple 2d than try to go directly to 3d. Or maybe 2d/3d are two different beasts?

accucore12

Re: [Sticky] Lesson Game Ideas

Post by accucore12 » May 18th, 2012, 5:03 pm

I would love to see a basic 2D Side Scrolling Shooting game which would help i explaining the Object oriented concept of C++ in which how objects interact with each other(in my opinion this concept could be applied to all game).
The Player could run ,jump, Fire some basic projectile and hurt other NPC or other player.

I guess a 2D side scrolling Game would be a good way to show how we could change the basic background of the game.

Hell Yeah!!

Code: Select all

[/color]