Questions for Chili, or anyone else, please!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chiliDevotee

Questions for Chili, or anyone else, please!

Post by chiliDevotee » March 26th, 2012, 6:10 am

Hi everyone. Chili, I love the stuff you do, keep the videos coming.

I got an important question. This framework that you have set up, what API (I'm assuming it's an API) are you using exactly? Direct3D, Direct Draw or 2D or whatever they call it? I've actually begun making a simple 3D camera perspective kinda like 2.5D, and it's going OK. Can you do 3D stuff in it?

Also, whenever I'm debugging, I'd love to have certain variables displayed on the screen while the program is running, it makes a world of difference when you can actually see these variables when something goes wrong in runtime, like what rotation my player has, and coordinates, etc. Any ideas on that?

Thanks a lot.

chiliDevotee

Re: Questions for Chili, or anyone else, please!

Post by chiliDevotee » March 26th, 2012, 6:18 am

Also, one other thing, if you're going to write your own 3D engine from scratch, like with your own rasterizer and everything like you've started to teach us with the draw line function, can you do it through DirectX? Or do you have to use something else like OpenGL? Because all the DirectX stuff I've seen only teaches you how to place vertices, everything's already done for you, the rasterization, pixel colour interpolation, and lighting too I think.

chili
Site Admin

Re: Questions for Chili, or anyone else, please!

Post by chili » March 26th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Hey Bro, welcome aboard!
chiliDevotee wrote:I got an important question. This framework that you have set up, what API (I'm assuming it's an API) are you using exactly?
The framework uses Direct3D 9, but only to get access to the video memory. The engine, as it is right now, is essentially a software engine (no hardware acceleration).
chiliDevotee wrote:Also, whenever I'm debugging, I'd love to have certain variables displayed on the screen while the program is running, it makes a world of difference when you can actually see these variables when something goes wrong in runtime, like what rotation my player has, and coordinates, etc. Any ideas on that?
This will have to wait a bit. In order to render text to the screen we'll need to be able to load bitmaps into memory. Once we get to that point in the tutorials it will be easy to do what you are talking about.
chiliDevotee wrote:Also, one other thing, if you're going to write your own 3D engine from scratch, like with your own rasterizer and everything like you've started to teach us with the draw line function, can you do it through DirectX?
Yes you can, and that is exactly how I will introduce 3D graphics when the time comes. First we will develop a software graphics engine and then we will do it using the 3D hardware.
Chili