dxerr.lib error running Chili Framework

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
mooska

dxerr.lib error running Chili Framework

Post by mooska » February 15th, 2012, 12:27 am

So I started to follow a long with the DirectX/C++ tutorial and I ran into a problem right away. I opened up the Chili DirectX Framework and upon building it, I got this error:

1>------ Build started: Project: Chili DirectX Framework, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'dxerr.lib'
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I'm running:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 2.66GHz
8GB Ram @800MHz

Any help would be super appreciated. I've been working with C++ for a few days before getting impatient and wanting to play with DirectX. Hope to make it further than this point :)

chili
Site Admin

Re: dxerr.lib error running Chili Framework

Post by chili » February 15th, 2012, 3:43 am

Not an easy problem. I set up the project to be mostly foolproof as long as you install the SDK and the compiler properly. However, it's hard to anticipate every pitfall and configuration.

The first thing you should do is uninstall the SDK and then reinstall it. If that works then you're golden. If not, I'm going to need some more information.

First, tell me the language (English?) version of your OS and the exact version/flavor of your VC++.

Second, tell me the full path of your dxerr.lib file (search for it).

Third, tell me the value of your DXSDK_DIR environment variable (if you don't know what an environment variable is, look it up bro!)

I have a few ideas to try, but this might take a few days of back and forth before we find a solution.
Chili

Agent_K

Post by Agent_K » February 15th, 2012, 4:52 pm

I think it would be nice for instances like this if there was a shout box at the top of the forum, that way u could just chat back and forth without all the xtra? just a thought, oh and y no quick reply?

btw tuts are legit

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 16th, 2012, 1:35 pm

The forum suits my purposes for the time being. If there are ever enough active member I might consider some type of realtime chat, but now I really don't see the point.

I can't reply right away all the time because A) way different time zones and B) busy with other stuff.
Chili

Agent_K

Post by Agent_K » February 16th, 2012, 6:08 pm

I understand, I like ur tuts more than thenewboston, and I think most others will to so ur programmer community should grow pretty quick. And i didn't mean a quick reply from you, sorry if u thought I did, I meant a quick reply box at the bottom of the thread page so us lazy programmers don't have to navigate to a seperate page to post a reply. Anyways I won't expect a response since this is way off topic for the thread. Thanks again.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 17th, 2012, 1:29 am

Hmm, that might be something that I could set up for this forum... I think I saw an option for something like that in the admin control panel. I'll check it out when I have time. Thanks for the suggestion bro!
Chili

4TN

Post by 4TN » April 12th, 2012, 10:48 pm

I had the same problem. After a lot of searching and trying to get it to work I found that for some stupid reason they made it so that it cannot read links to directories with spaces anywhere in it. So to make it work I created a lib folder in the folder I use for programming then I copied all of the contents in the lib folder for the Microsoft SDK and the Direct X SDk, I had problems with files in both. Make sure there are no spaces in the names of the folder. For example "C:\My Program\lib" won't work, "C:\MyProgram\lib" will work.

After that we just need to list the folder. In the View tab select Property Manager. In the Property Manager right click on the "Debug | Win32" folder and select "Add New Project Property Sheet...". Give it a name and press Add (I called mine "my lib dir"). You can also select a location for the file, I put mine in the lib folder so when I work on something else I'll know where to find it. You should be able to set the directory so it will search automatically, however I'm new to the program so I don't know how to do that yet.

Now double click the Property Sheet you just created. Under "Common Properties" select "VC++ Directories". In the "General" tab select "Library Directories" then copy and paste the location of the lib folder you created. You can click the arrow select "<Edit...>" click in the white space in the window that pops up and paste it there or click the "..." button in that line then go to the lib directory you created. OK the windows. Now right click "Release | Win32" select "Add Existing Property Sheet...", select the Property Sheet you just made, press "Open", bulid it and should work.
"Programming is awesome, it's like the ultimate Legos" - Chili

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 13th, 2012, 11:40 am

Thanks for sharing this info bro! I've never been able to reproduce this problem on my setup so I couldn't formulate a workaround. The next time someone complains about linker errors I'll send them here to read your guide.
Chili

maxpayne

Post by maxpayne » April 27th, 2012, 1:18 pm

ok .. now i m a noob ..
i m just learning my first prog. lang.. and saw this guys youtube vid..

i downloaded everythin he told me and thn this dxerr error mind fucked me alot ...
i searched every possible thread i could and did exactly all they told me .. making dir and what not..
after hours of trail and error ..
i found the solution.. :)
yes finally i did it ..........!!! ( it feels good trust me ) specially a noob like me..

just made an account to help this guy as he is doing a great job.. .

and hope he wil help me learning the language ..

ok cut the crap here is the solution..
it was so so stupid of me .. i guess half of the ppl out there might b doing the same ..
whn in his vid he says to download dxstd.. and u go to microsoft website and u download it..
u have to download the real file which is 512 mb..
i downloaded the other file which was around 50 or 80 mb .. which contained some zip folders with the same file name directx sdk (june2010)...
after searchin it properly i found the real file ...
and here it is..
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=6812
download it ..
open chili's framework and build it .. !! and WOLA !!!!
Chili DirectX Framework.vcxproj -> C:\Users\...\Desktop\Chili DirectX Framework\Chili DirectX Framework\Release\Chili DirectX Framework.exe
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
FINALLYY.
i hope this helps ..
keep up the good work bro..
and hope i step into the world of programming via u (chilli) !!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 29th, 2012, 7:00 am

Thanks for the report bro, I'll keep this in mind the next time somebody has problems building the framework.
Chili