Preview of the Next Game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Asimov

Re: Preview of the Next Game

Post by Asimov » December 5th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Hi Toddfather,

Hard to say. I messed with Unity a few years ago. Then decided to get hold of Unity 4, and that little demo took me about a week to learn how to do all that, but then I pick stuff up quick. Can't wait to add combustible sheep LOL

The animation on the landing pad was done in 3ds max, and I have been using that for 5 years.
I didn't spend very long on the models in this demo because I just threw them together to learn how to do it.

I am thinking of re-making Cyclone from the zx spectrum days. That had a helicopter, but I thought it would be cool with a flying saucer.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

LuX

Post by LuX » December 7th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Pretty nice demo Asimov. I agree if you really want to make a great game you should use a commercial 3D engine over a self coded one, but I still find it interesting coding one. Besides, using Direct3D helper functions, making your own little 3D program isn't going to be hard.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » December 7th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Hi Lux,

The best ever version of tanks I have ever played was "Scorched Tanks" on the Amiga. I still play it now on an emulator and thought about remaking it lots heh heh.

Damn I posted this in the wrong thread, but I think you know what I mean LOL.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 9th, 2012, 9:17 am

Yeah, the choice between a pre-existing engine and a homegrown solution is a hard one. If you need the complexity but you don't have the development muscle, you probably need a commercial solution. But if what you want to do isn't too complex, you might be better off coding it yourself and saving yourself the licensing fees (more profits).

Of course if what you want to do is radically different than any premade engine out there then you really have no choice but to roll your own.
Chili