8 Days. Music video. Must make.

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
gCrusher

8 Days. Music video. Must make.

Post by gCrusher » January 12th, 2012, 6:48 pm

The challenge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOFesVOKOA

With the limited amount of songs that are permitted to be submitted, I went for this one: OTEP's "Smash The Control Machine" http://bit.ly/bfOUOd

I have eight (8) days to storyboard, shoot, edit and submit a music video for a prize that I can't actually use. Should my submission win, I'll be giving it to the vocal talent of the video, Queenie. She's a horror writer and a huge OTEP fan. http://kweenytodd.blogspot.com/

Camera secured, storyboard begun. I was only somewhat familiar with the song before getting into this, but I've heard it on repeat quite a few times to get an idea of what I want to do. I may make nods to the music video done by the band but I also want to do my own angle. It's been years since I've done music videos, but I know I can do this.

I'm less-than-familiar with video editing programs today. I'm sure I can bumble through it, but are there any video editing programs out there that are recommended? Last time I touched one I used an Amiga 2000 running Video Toaster, and it was badass (in an early 80's kind of way). Lay down audio track, then cut in video with no audio over that, layer by layer, cut by cut and I have some art.

Anywho, recommendations? Other than skip sleeping?
My hammer is LARGE.

WwortelHD

Re: 8 Days. Music video. Must make.

Post by WwortelHD » January 12th, 2012, 6:54 pm

I'm sorry, but I really don't know what you just said, but: for a editting program: try Sony Vegas Pro 11.0 or Pinnacle or something google it!

gCrusher

Post by gCrusher » January 12th, 2012, 7:29 pm

WwortelHD wrote:I'm sorry, but I really don't know what you just said
Alrighto, the TL;DR version...

Victory Records is offering Microsoft points to people who submit a video of people playing Rock Band with one of their artists. Only a few artists/songs on the eligible list, and the one that stands out to me is OTEP, and her song, "Smash The Control Machine." The contest began 9 days ago, yesterday; they want submissions in by Jan 20th.

Hope that's a little more clear. And thank you for the recommendation. Do you use these editors yourself?
My hammer is LARGE.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 13th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Chili pimps his videos out with Vegas 11. He finds it very sexy indeed.

It's a pretty nice NLE that ain't too hard to get used to, and version 11 has support for GPU-accelerated encoding and effects which has sped up my rendering speed by a factor of 4ish. 8-)

You gotta post a link of the finished product here when it's done gCrusher.
Chili

gCrusher

Post by gCrusher » January 13th, 2012, 5:28 pm

I fully intend to, ChiliT.

Last night, grabbed some footage from vocal talent, used night shots to play around with ambient lighting as well as my own portable lighting rig (some folks call it a Maglight, I call it a portable lighting rig, mm-hmmm). It's been pretty cold for Oregon these past few days, and the windchill was knocking temperatures down in the 10's (Fahrenheit). I liked what I got though, and looking forward to Saturday where I'll get individual talent footage and then entire band performance.
My hammer is LARGE.

gCrusher

Post by gCrusher » January 15th, 2012, 6:32 am

All footage completed. Uploading now from digi-cam to computer. Vegas 11, it is time to know and own you, and make my shots into some sort of coherency.

Counting today, only 6 days left until deadine. Null sweat, chummer.
My hammer is LARGE.

gCrusher

Post by gCrusher » January 15th, 2012, 7:24 am

Here's some pics to anyone who's interested while we wait for the finished vid.
My hammer is LARGE.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 15th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Seeing as how I don't have a twitbook, I'll just have to wait until you upload the finished product to YouTube ;)
Chili

gCrusher

Post by gCrusher » January 16th, 2012, 8:47 am

At some point, one day turned into another. The foundation is laid; in essence, the Rock Band performance with the music in the background (technical difficulties with the Xbox prevented it from being an easy copy/paste). Slow going with teaching myself Vegas, but it really is a great editing suite.

Good lord. Tired. Time to hit the hay.
My hammer is LARGE.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 16th, 2012, 2:50 pm

If you have any questions about Vegas feel free to ask. I probably won't be able to give you any advice, but it should be good for a laugh at least. :lol:
Chili