How do you stop yourself from killing someone

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Radical

How do you stop yourself from killing someone

Post by Radical » December 31st, 2017, 5:47 am

I have an unexplained bug. I have tried everything. It just makes no sense. Everything was going great and then suddenly I type one thing and it all breaks. Then I remove it, and it's still broken.

I looked through my relatively small project over and over and over, but I have no idea what is causing the issue. This has happened twice before, and I ended up quitting programming for a little while after each time. I'm not going to quit this time, but I certainly feel like abandoning the project.

It's just so frustrating.

How do you guys cope?

EDIT: I am implementing Git from tutorial 15 as we speak. I will give up on this project, and hopefully be able to avoid the issue in the future. Still curious how you guys deal with this though. Or is it avoided altogether with the use of source control?

albinopapa

Re: How do you stop yourself from killing someone

Post by albinopapa » December 31st, 2017, 8:32 am

My advice is to learn what is causing the 'brittleness' of your projects. I find headers are a problem after awhile as the number of headers grows. I have another issue somewhat related to headers, and it's dependencies. One set of functions or types depending on another set of functions or types. Haven't figured out a clear solution, or too stubborn to take the advice that has been given to me.

I usually take breaks from programming when I realize I am trying to do something I don't understand, like physics or other college level maths. My math education in HS wasn't the greatest and I've killed too many brains cells to remember the crap I did learn.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 31st, 2017, 8:35 am

One thing you could do is ask for help here on the forum, post the project or upload to github and post the link to the repository and someone can help so you don't end up feeling like you can't go on any further. Planet chili is in my mind a community, so treat us like one lol. Give advice, take advice share experiences and bullshit with us.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 31st, 2017, 8:37 pm

Yeah, the #1 advice is use source control, commit often, and you will not get fucked over nearly as bad. There are other skills that can help, like ninja debugging skills. But there is no silver bullet for that; it takes years of experience to become a badass debugger. It takes maybe a day to learn Git well enough to cover your ass.
Chili

DicheBach

Post by DicheBach » January 2nd, 2018, 2:46 pm

chili wrote:Yeah, the #1 advice is use source control, commit often, and you will not get fucked over nearly as bad. There are other skills that can help, like ninja debugging skills. But there is no silver bullet for that; it takes years of experience to become a badass debugger. It takes maybe a day to learn Git well enough to cover your ass.
My mentor who has been programming for like 35 years said pretty much same thing. Any time I bitch about a problem he says "have you tried the debugger?"
The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies & drive them before him.
To ride their horses & take away their possessions. To see faces of those who were dear
bedewed with tears & clasp their wives & daughters to his arms.