Beginner game programming C++ series with notepad++

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
emilbabazade

Beginner game programming C++ series with notepad++

Post by emilbabazade » December 22nd, 2017, 9:12 am

Hello, dear friends! I am currently learning c++ with beginner c++ game programming series, and I am doing it using Visual Studio 2015. There is one problem and that is my laptop have a hard time running visual studio, sometimes it takes 10 minutes to compile something, and generally, it is a pain to use it, because it's so slow like it freezes while I am coding(which happens very often). My laptop is i3 core 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz (no idea what that means, just copied it from my computer properities) with 4 Gb ram. And my question is how can I do beginner c++ game programming series(or any other Chilli c++ series) with some lightweight IDE like notepad++?

albinopapa

Re: Beginner game programming C++ series with notepad++

Post by albinopapa » December 22nd, 2017, 9:16 am

I hear Visual Studio Code is pretty light weight.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

emilbabazade

Post by emilbabazade » December 25th, 2017, 1:44 am

I already solved the problem, in visual studio 2017 there was a problem in the settings, it had windows 2008 sdk(or whatever that is) instead of 2010(Chilli actually talked about this in the tutorial 0 2017 vs video)

Note*: I tried visual studio code, it cannot open .sln files

emilbabazade

Post by emilbabazade » December 25th, 2017, 1:47 am

One more question, do i need to delete this post since i already got solution for my problem?(don't know how forums work, never used any before; plus didn't find a delete option in the edit section of this post)

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 25th, 2017, 7:30 am

Nah, keep it around for others to see. If you have any advice for others that might have same situation, you might leave steps you used to resolve issue.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com