Biological Systems

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
DicheBach

Re: Biological Systems

Post by DicheBach » December 21st, 2017, 1:03 pm

krautersuppe wrote:
DicheBach wrote:Here is another thought: ballistics and gun shot trauma.
Might it be POSSIBLE to devise a game design in which a reasonable degree of naturalism were considered a "minimum threshold" and then develop a game that stuck to that, and still be a profitable venture?
No, it is not possible. The "complicated" calculations nowadays are just combinations of simple methods - like solving of millions of linear equation systems - possible to do because of improved computing power of modern computers.
In 3-dimensional case there are analytical methods for cuboids, cylinders and spheres. Furthermore there are methods for elliptical, parabolic and hyperbolic contours. However a screw with ridge and hexagonal head is beyond reach of analytical methods, the same goes for type lever of a typewriter or a crankshaft.
Besides that many of the problems you mentioned involve something called uncertain systems where moving forward in time one is unable to predict position or state of the object accurately.
DicheBach wrote: Whoa! . . . understood about 30% of this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnilIKN63to
Yes because there is nothing to understand. Bunch of bullshit speculations(in my opinion). No explanation of measurement methods involved(like those ramachandran angles or those speculative rotation angles that are "needed" to make hydrogen bonds possible) and gobbledygook about phenomenons and theories that cannot be measured or observed accurately.
You're a skeptic after my own heart Kraut!

How many degrees of polynomial are they up to now? 7? (meaning the most complicated one that has been successfully factored)?

I would have to disagree with your statement that "it is not possible." We may simply be thinking in different terms: you thinking "is it possible to create a 100% realistic game and make a profit" me thinking "is it possible to create a much more realistic game and make a profit."

Like I said in a post above, one doesn't have to achieve a 99.99% "realism" level in order to achieve a qualitative shift in game play, the way modern make-believe 3D graphics actually work already shows THAT point quite clearly!
The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies & drive them before him.
To ride their horses & take away their possessions. To see faces of those who were dear
bedewed with tears & clasp their wives & daughters to his arms.

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » December 21st, 2017, 4:32 pm

DicheBach wrote: I would have to disagree with your statement that "it is not possible." We may simply be thinking in different terms: you thinking "is it possible to create a 100% realistic game and make a profit" me thinking "is it possible to create a much more realistic game and make a profit."
[..] the way modern make-believe 3D graphics actually work already shows THAT point quite clearly!
I think there is a principal difference between "simulation" and "game". Purpose of a game is to entertain through exaggerations and scoring. Purpose of a simulation software is to depict real - life processes for research or training. We are discussing the possibilities of simulation software. For simulation software accuracy of the model and possibility to manipulate simulation at users desire is essential for success of the product.
For game to be successful none of that is needed(Plague Inc. comes to mind). Yes certain genre do emphasize on reality-near graphics and game mechanics - however there are always ridiculous or unrealistic feats available which essentially guarantee the entertainment value.
DicheBach wrote: How many degrees of polynomial are they up to now? 7? (meaning the most complicated one that has been successfully factored)?
No it is still at 5. There are explicit formulas for finding roots of a polinomial up to 4th degree. From 5th degree onward several approximation methods are commonly used - like Horner's rule, Newton's method or Graeffe's method.
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

DicheBach

Post by DicheBach » December 21st, 2017, 5:02 pm

I think a universal definition of a game (which could apply to all species who play) would be: an experience comprising a problem with some salience to real world problems experienced (or epigenetically primed) by the participant(s), and in which the participant can--through their actions in the game--influence the outcome along a continuum from favorable (win) to unfavorable (lose).

A simulation is an attempt to abstractly represent real world phenomenon using semiotic media. From my standpoint, it appears that the entirety of mathematics is "simulation" as are large swathes of observational and theoretical scientific endeavors and much experimental science as well. Even a spoken sentence is a "simulation" "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy brown dog." Those characters and the signs they build (the words and the meanings they carry) "simulate" real world phenomenon.

So from my standpoint, I believe I would conclude that ALL games are to some extent 'simulations' though I'm more tentative on that point.

Certainly, there are games which strive to more accurately, precisely, and completely represent more rich, detailed, complex and intricate real world phenomenon (War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition or War in the East) and others--on the other end of a continuum--which only strive to achieve a coarse, approximate, and sparse if not abstract and simplified representation. Both have their place. Pong is a legit game, and Super Mario doesn't need to have his blood sugar and testicular functioning modelled to be a fun character. But that doesn't mean that a game in which metabolism and reproductive function were modeled more realistically (or perhaps naturalistically) would be less legit, fun, or doable. Of course it might be more difficult to program it, especially if high standards of detail are demanded in many different dimensions of game design. Melding the salient mechanics from a game like War in the Pacific into a game like Witcher might well be prohibitive from a resource expenditure to potential profit standpoint.

But . . . that would seem to be pretty much exactly what Star Citizen IS trying to pull off! They've raised so much god damn money, they may just keep on developing for decades! I mean, why bother actually FINISHING the game if you are getting rich just from giving presentations and infomercials about the development process!? :D Their freekin' spaceships have toilets and showers on them! :o
The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies & drive them before him.
To ride their horses & take away their possessions. To see faces of those who were dear
bedewed with tears & clasp their wives & daughters to his arms.