Help with decision of engine unreal/unity

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Lorth

Help with decision of engine unreal/unity

Post by Lorth » December 15th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Hey guys!

i have an idea of an game, and i have thought/evolved the ideas, gameplay of this project for maby the last 6 months. I have started to do some programming of the game in an simple console application just to get my programming going.

Now i have gotten the idea of using an engine to get the project up alittle faster. I would like to do it directly in visual studio with the dx11, but it feels like that there is to much to setup to get something going. So therefor i have started to think of either unreal engine or unity.

I have not used any of them before and i try right now to do some reaserch on which would be to prefer.
i read somewhere that unity uses c# and unreal more of c++ in the coding. but is there any other pro/con that anyone of you have experied?

the game i think of right now is an pure 2d game. Avatars that fight against other players avatars. But i get second thoughts of acctually do it in 3d with an battleground there you can battle..

anyone that can give me some of their experience of the engines, or other directions?

Yumtard

Re: Help with decision of engine unreal/unity

Post by Yumtard » December 16th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Unity is easy to learn and there's a lot more content for learning unity

goldengamesTM

Post by goldengamesTM » December 21st, 2017, 3:43 am

Also, Unity Can Run On Slow Computers ( Well, Not Necessarily Sloww But, It Can Run On Slower Computers Than Unreal ), But Unreal Can Use Blueprints Similar to https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/editor/?tip_bar=home And Is Better Quality ( In My Opinion ).

DicheBach

Post by DicheBach » December 21st, 2017, 1:10 pm

Unity pros: supposedly easier, probably still more help/assets
Unity cons: you have to pay a subscription, it is based on C# (either in part or in full, not sure)
It is well-known to have horrific memory management and in particular garbage collection.

Unreal pros: it is "free" (you pay a 5% royalty after you earn the first couple thousand in revenue from product sales). It is entirely in C++ It suffers none of Unity's memory management or other basic functional deficits.
Unreal cons: it is supposedly more difficult to learn. There is less documentation/tutorials/help, but that seems to be progressively becoming less and less true.
The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies & drive them before him.
To ride their horses & take away their possessions. To see faces of those who were dear
bedewed with tears & clasp their wives & daughters to his arms.