I have a question about bits

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Skyver

I have a question about bits

Post by Skyver » November 24th, 2017, 4:21 am

So I just learned abouth bits and how every combination of bits can represent one thing I learned that by drawing out a 4 bit system on paper (il share a pic down below) I did not even know what I was drawing something I had in my head but did not quite understand but it completely blew my entire mind and everything I thought I knew about pc just crumbled before my eyes
And that the switch from 32 bit to 64 is to most epic thing ever and means way more then I could ever imagine before
But I still have couple things I can,t just you I don't even know eny more so I like to hear if I'm just going crazy or that it really is as amazing so il try to keep it to 2 things and a little one

1 - when I start a program does it then divine in the memory what combinations do what and does that mean that when I save a program on my hard drive the only thing I am really saving are what certain combinations do and is that what is using your ram just the meaning of all those different combinations?

2-processors I know that a lot of them have particular bit like 64 bit or 32 bit is it that a cpu is what activates the combinations and then puts it in the ram to keep them loaded until the program tells it to it is no longer necessary to have it loaded?

And the little one how comes when I lookup 32bit it very often gets referenced a x86 I totally don't get that no Matter how I look at it

Thanks in advance

Peace and much love
Skyver
Attachments
IMAG0012.jpg
(857.93 KiB) Not downloaded yet

cyboryxmen

Re: I have a question about bits

Post by cyboryxmen » November 24th, 2017, 7:24 am

x86 refers to the instruction set that the Intel and AMD processors use. It's named after the Intel 8086 processor which is the processor that the instruction set is based on. It is actually not directly tied to 32bit processing as the 8086 processor was actually 16 bits back then. The 64bit extension of that instruction set is called x86-64 or AMD64(since AMD created it) and is what modern Intel and AMD x64 processors use. These instructions are what the cpu reads to execute code and they are stored in various numbers of bytes depending on the instruction type and its parameters. Your program is split into 2 sections: the instructions and the data that it executes on. When the program starts up, both of these sections will be loaded into memory where the cpu can access them. A function call is merely a "call" instruction with its parameters being the address containing the function's instructions themselves. I hope this answers everything.
Zekilk

Skyver

Re: I have a question about bits

Post by Skyver » November 24th, 2017, 11:08 am

Yeah glad I asked thank you for the explanation I get it now so that explains how everything fit together also why program language is wat it is thank you very much it was berry helpful