can someone give his opinion?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Skyver

can someone give his opinion?

Post by Skyver » October 19th, 2017, 8:56 pm

hi im 23 and i would love to make some games i always loved games and finally decided to just DO IT!!! so im really fired up did monkey see monkey do then i saw that video where cilli told me BAD MONKEY i started over en am now making the poo game without the video and try to understand as much as i can but you,know in another live i was a dog and alway get my hopes up and get wayyyyy to enthusiastic also i love font colorsso i came for some advise how to give it my everything i got and maby even make a innovation in in comput tech software or games but more making my own worlds my own creations make worlds that can only exist now in my head like my most recent and most retarted idea yet called

""grand super ultra shakedown fights in weird places""
a game where you can start fights in the women,s clothing corner of the mall
the toilet of a mc donalds
and even the infamous car dealership
realistic gameplay
fight like family guy are in reach
also every character no matter who it is can go super saiyan except every guy who bought a dress because he thought he looked good in it they get super my little pony
background music by 'thee poo poo man'' :lol:

but im only rambaling nonsense srry il get to the point of my story

so i just started watching and am going to try for a 3year programmer learning course in June 2018 but they want you to have some knowledge about software development and the course is for c# also they this test where they look if if you have talent and stuff so i thought if i learn c++ thats basically c with more features so if i keep folowing chilli and learn everyday and keep programming do i have any chance of all of landing this??

also im a bit puzzled about the collision Detection of the
poo game il post my own code down here with comments thank you in advance

const int right = x0 + width0; //this makes it that that the edge is not 1 pixel but the width
and height of my dude
const int down = y0 + height0;
const int Tright = x1 + width1;// same but for the target
const int Tdown = y1 + height1;

return
right <= Tright && //lower or euqel then the right edge of my dude
Tright >= right && // in my head this should be the left side butt i have a feeling that it is wrong but can,t understand why

down <= Tdown &&
Tdown >= down;

oh en this makes makes the right and lower edge detect collision but left and and up are all the way to the screen border
so the target comes above 'lower y' by and it get,s detected and same for the left side like my dude,s detection box has no left or upper walls and this is where i am stuck all day today and yesterday

oh and this is only for autistic persons which i am and have the papers to proof it
not like it is a huge reveal at this point of my story right?

Knowledge and experience with software development is important in order to successfully implement this process. There are several platforms that can be developed and that are very popular with companies. ITvitae makes an annual choice between the different platforms (PHP, C # .Net) and provides an appropriate learning pathway. The next Learning Outcome to Work is Software Developer C # in a .Net framework.

Start: June 1, 2018

To the Interest & Registration Form

Factsheet C # Software Developer (PDF)
Assessment 6 weeks
Learning range 8 - 9 months practice-oriented with theory support
Work experience place 3-6 months
Study material Send (PHP) or
Microsoft Programming C #
Teacher Level HBO
Classical lesson 3-4 days a week combination theory and practice
Exam Sending (PHP) or Microsoft C #
Location training Amersfoort
Number of participants around 12 per group

albinopapa

Re: can someone give his opinion?

Post by albinopapa » October 20th, 2017, 4:01 am

First put down the drugs and calm down lol. Take your time and if english is your primary language, it's not showing so I'm guessing it's not. It's pretty hard to follow what you are asking. If you are wanting to do this thing and it's in C#, then learn C#. I wouldn't waste the time learning C++ just to find out it doesn't help much when moving to C#.

It's true you should be able to learn how to code in C++ using the chili tutorials and it's true there are some similarities between C# and C++, but it's not the same and you might end up confusing the two if you aren't familiar with either.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Farhan687

Post by Farhan687 » October 20th, 2017, 4:29 am

well for your problem of the june course albinopapa is right on the mark.

now for your coding problem.

return
right <= Tright &&
Tright >= right &&
down <= Tdown &&
Tdown >= down;

bellow is the pseudo code for your code. see if this clears your problem because you are not counting the left and top edges of your poo and target in your program that is why the collision test is always true.

Code: Select all

the right edge of the poo is smaller than or equal to the right of target;
  the right edge of the target is greater than or equal to the right of the poo;
  the bottom edge of the poo is smaller than or equal to the bottom of target;
  the bottom edge of the target is greater than or equal to the bottom of the poo;
did you see your problem, you are just basically saying the same thing in 2 times. :geek:
here is a picture which helped me understand the collision test. Hope it helps
Attachments
collision test diagram.png
(17.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 20th, 2017, 7:57 am

Your enthusiasm sounds on point bro. Maybe cultivate a little more focus :lol:

As for C++, if you can gain a decent proficiency in it C# will be child's play. It's a good language to learn and you got some good resources here, if I do say so myself ;)

That being said, if your end goal is C# and you're not that intrested in cpp for its own sake, maybe just cut out the middleman and just start off with C#.
Chili

Skyver

Post by Skyver » October 20th, 2017, 1:56 pm

Thanks yall no English is not my first and I am way to hyper way to often

But I am dead set on programming it might seem I joke a bit much about it but
I'm ready to devote my entire existence to programming there nothing I would rather do then making games and clever software to help all the lazy people being even more lazy also I'm lazy my self I would automate everything if I where able to

thanks for the advice I feel I can make it but as for c# I don,t like helloworld tuts on the internet there way to old man ich like someone that's 93 wrote it as for chilli you make it way more fun to learn and your really positive about your tutorials and helping others to learn
so I like to keep learning c++ then switch to c#when I have a basic knowledge about programming it self
also unity that game engine uses c# butt i wanted a solid foundation before i went to learn stuff like that

even if it means i wont get to accomplish my goals i won,t quit that easily ;)

Also I watch your tut semi for learning but also enjoyment :you are like my programmer hero: :)

I feel like if I can get an understanding about how to program learning a new language isn't that hard

As for the code thanks for your feedback I really understand what I'm doing wrong also I basically had drawn something very similar drawn on paper so I get just one last question

Const int right = x + width //adds up the x pos and the width that makes the right edge of my dude or poo box
So left should be
Const int left = x - width // so this defines the left edge??

But then I would need 4 ints per object one for each side which your diagram also seems to suggest

Or is it that I need to define it by combining my player and target
you have given myself much knowledge to think about

anyway I'm gonna play around a bit with it and hope I succeed
Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it and chilli your amazingly awesome for doing what your doing
Sincerely your rookie fan from the Netherlands :)

Also I am not on drugs but smoke pot sometimes to chill myself out is not always fun being energized
I got kicked out a lot of places like the airport bars clubs restaurant,s and most people can't stand me for long periods of time I apparently drive some folks mad :lol:
Attachments
IMAG0010.jpg
(714.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » October 20th, 2017, 2:47 pm

x is already the left side. The rectangle is being drawn from left to right, not from the middle.

If it was drawn from the midle then left would be x - width/2 and right would be x + width/2
but in our case x is already left and therefore right is x (left) + the width of the rectangle.

Same deal with y. y is already the top of the rectangle so bottom is y + height

"Const int left = x - width // so this defines the left edge??"
if you were to do this you'd end up width amount of pixels to the left of the left edge

Skyver

Post by Skyver » October 20th, 2017, 3:32 pm

OMG yumtard you make complete sense to me i get it
it draws from 0 and then out
the the most left up corner position is always the position of the object it self
so i only need to make a int for the right and and down side
and then compare that with the original value which i feed it from its pos

i totally get it now

its already left so i don,t need to do anything but tell it what right is

thank you soo much i was really stuck on that for almost a entire week

i feel like a retard and never been happier about that :)

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » October 20th, 2017, 5:29 pm

lol np! Glad it helped :)

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 20th, 2017, 9:41 pm

A good way to deal with rectangles and collisions would be to create a Rect class with the left, top, right, bottom boundaries defined. You can initialize this Rect class with two points (left, top) and (right, bottom) or even a position and a size (left, top) and (width, height). Another way of doing it would be to always have the left and top initialize to 0 and the right and bottom are the width and height. Then when you need to decide on collision, you'd translate the rect to the position of your game object.

Code: Select all

struct ColideRect
{
     CollideRect Translate(float X, float Y)const
     {
          // Make a copy of current rect, you want to keep the base rect unchanged.
          CollideRect result = *this;

// Translate the copy
          result.left += X;
          result.right += X;
          result.top += Y;
          result.bottom += Y;

// Return the translated copy
          return result;
     }

bool IsColliding( const CollideRect &Other )const
     {
          return 
               (left <= Other.right && right >= Other.left) &&
               (top <= Other.bottom && bottom >= Other.top);
     }

float left, top, right, bottom;
};

// How to use
CollideRect a = gObject_A.GetTranslatedRect();
CollideRect b = gObject_B.GetTranslatedRect();
if( a.IsColliding( b ) )
{
     // Handle collisions
}

If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 20th, 2017, 9:42 pm

This way you won't have to write multiple collision tests throughout your code and finding your left,top,right,bottom values will be a non-issue because they are there in the rect.