My friend told me that the "Chili Framework" is useless

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
eagerStudent

My friend told me that the "Chili Framework" is useless

Post by eagerStudent » October 8th, 2017, 1:47 pm

I've been trying to learn C++ by watching Chili tutorials on Youtube and today, a friend of mine's seen what i was working on and he told me that I'm just wasting my time working on a Framework that is not World Wide known and that I'd fail when i found a job at somewhere without understanding the basic fundamentals of how the Framework itself operates... Then he asked me if i could write the framework from scratch and idk what to do next...Is this a total waste of time? :(

Yumtard

Re: My friend told me that the "Chili Framework" is useless

Post by Yumtard » October 8th, 2017, 1:58 pm

dump your friend

FinalL

Post by FinalL » October 8th, 2017, 2:23 pm

By working with the framework you are mainly learning the language. You have to communicate with the framework in C++. When you get proficient with the language enough, you can start looking into what are called APIs and examine even Chili's framework. The Chili's framework works with Windows API and DirectX API. It does some stuff for you so you can learn the language first without having to study how programming for Windows and programming with 3D graphics works. It certainly isn't useless. ;) Once you get a good grasp of C++, understanding the Chili's framework is more about knowing the specific platform's tools you are offered to use (and you use them in C++ because they come as libraries). You will be capable of writing a similar framework from scratch yourself too. Your friend apparently doesn't know the concept of Chili's tutorials. Does he program himself?
Many noodles, one sauce.
'Programming rules: #1 - Everything is just a fucking number.' Chili, 2012
Mainly Discord procrastinator

FinalL

Post by FinalL » October 8th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Some analogy came to my mind. Imagine learning to bike with and without helping wheels. Of course it is possible to learn to bike without help. But almost certainly will take longer. On the other hand, biking with helping wheels does not make you a good cyclist. It only prepares you to then start biking on your own without help. Now the bike is a powerful tool like C++. Your helping wheels are Chili's framework, because you can ditch them after a while and it does a lot of stuff behind the curtain so you can only focus on the drawin (pedaling while biking). And your teacher is Mr. Chili, that can always help you, but once you start riding alone you can find some tricks on your own.
Many noodles, one sauce.
'Programming rules: #1 - Everything is just a fucking number.' Chili, 2012
Mainly Discord procrastinator

eagerStudent

Post by eagerStudent » October 8th, 2017, 2:34 pm

FinalL wrote:By working with the framework you are mainly learning the language. You have to communicate with the framework in C++. When you get proficient with the language enough, you can start looking into what are called APIs and examine even Chili's framework. The Chili's framework works with Windows API and DirectX API. It does some stuff for you so you can learn the language first without having to study how programming for Windows and programming with 3D graphics works. It certainly isn't useless. ;) Once you get a good grasp of C++, understanding the Chili's framework is more about knowing the specific platform's tools you are offered to use (and you use them in C++ because they come as libraries). You will be capable of writing a similar framework from scratch yourself too. Your friend apparently doesn't know the concept of Chili's tutorials. Does he program himself?
I really appreciate you typing all these man it means a lot to me... And thank you for helping me keep going after he demotivated me. I understand the concept now so I'll be sure to keep going.My friend has a bachelor degree in CS from the same uni as i go to and the school doesn't teach us sh*t...He works for a small company which designs websites only in PHP. I asked him why don't you start learning C++ then and he said "the school didn't teach us so i'll just stick to php". But i guess i should've never listened to him in the first place...

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » October 8th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Yeah, think about having to learn programming on top of Unity or the Unreal engine, things would go pretty slow. Glad you decided to stick with the chili tutorials at the very least. Each language has it's place and C++ isn't for everyone. Some find it too difficult or dislike having to manage their own resources. It's pretty unanimous that C/C++ are the fastest languages out there currently, which is why most games are written using them. PHP is nice for server side programs and that is where it shines.

Keep learning C++ and as FinalL says, you be able to and probably will want to make your own framework from scratch or move on to one of the commercial engines.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

eagerStudent

Post by eagerStudent » October 9th, 2017, 8:04 am

albinopapa wrote:Yeah, think about having to learn programming on top of Unity or the Unreal engine, things would go pretty slow. Glad you decided to stick with the chili tutorials at the very least. Each language has it's place and C++ isn't for everyone. Some find it too difficult or dislike having to manage their own resources. It's pretty unanimous that C/C++ are the fastest languages out there currently, which is why most games are written using them. PHP is nice for server side programs and that is where it shines.

Keep learning C++ and as FinalL says, you be able to and probably will want to make your own framework from scratch or move on to one of the commercial engines.
Thank you for the kind words and the motivation man...It really helps a lot...

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » October 9th, 2017, 10:36 pm

eagerStudent wrote:I've been trying to learn C++ by watching Chili tutorials on Youtube and today, a friend of mine's seen what i was working on and he told me that I'm just wasting my time working on a Framework that is not World Wide known and that I'd fail when i found a job at somewhere..(
Well about finding a job you can read this "archaic" thread. Some nice philosophical arguments there.

Concerning software and making framework from scratch there is another good old discussion
on this thread.
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

Chrajdal

Post by Chrajdal » October 10th, 2017, 7:31 pm

I really appreciate you typing all these man it means a lot to me... And thank you for helping me keep going after he demotivated me. I understand the concept now so I'll be sure to keep going.My friend has a bachelor degree in CS from the same uni as i go to and the school doesn't teach us sh*t...He works for a small company which designs websites only in PHP. I asked him why don't you start learning C++ then and he said "the school didn't teach us so i'll just stick to php". But i guess i should've never listened to him in the first place...
At university I went to PHP programming was usually refered to as a punishment for "naughty", "lazy" or just plain "stupid" students.
If someone who builds websites with PHP makes fun of you because you are trying to learn C++ (or any other language for that matter), he should just jump from a cliff.
I've been trying to learn C++ by watching Chili tutorials on Youtube and today, a friend of mine's seen what i was working on and he told me that I'm just wasting my time working on a Framework that is not World Wide known and that I'd fail when i found a job at somewhere..

Most companies won't bother with building their own bloody frameworks. In my experience most companies are using their favorite (understand: best suited for the job) frameworks and they can't expect every candidate to know every one of them. They expect you to be flexible and ideally fast learner when it comes to learning new frameworks. (Obviously previous experience with the framework is preferable)
Then he asked me if i could write the framework from scratch and idk what to do next
In my opinion you won't ever build your own framework in production, unless you work at company which develops them.
I asked him why don't you start learning C++ then and he said "the school didn't teach us so i'll just stick to php".
Fuck, I don't even know the guy, but I hate him already! Just this quote makes you better than him - while you are trying to learn and get better, he will rot coding (not programming) websites. With that attitude, you can get better in php than him learning C++ in one or two years.

In conclusion I think that learning to program in Chilli's framework using his framework is one of the best ways to get into programming. You learn the NECESSARY basics, and it might very well keep you interested, because you can start making games very soon and easily with it. Also it can easily happen, when learning frameworks like Unity, CryEngine, etc. to get lost in the funcionality - that shouldn't happen to you when using Chilli's framework.

P.S.: I would like to note, that the everything I said is just my opinion I got no real statistical data on my hand.