Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Everything

Post Posted: October 7th, 2017, 11:38 pm 

So, I am really enjoying programming, and I love to make games, but I am wanting to also create functional things as well; aka - desktop programs. Simple things that would maybe "shut down computer once song ends" or whatever I desire.

Is there a way to go about doing this? How much would I have to alter the chili framework?

Post Posted: October 8th, 2017, 4:46 am 

Check out the MSDN website to learn more about the Windows API.

You need to understand how Windows communicates with you applications. It uses a messaging system through a callback function. Check out MainWindow::HandleMsg to see the messages chili handles in his framework.

This is where you would want to make modifications as well as maybe main.cpp as you wouldn't need a Game object as well as the exception handling might need to be changed.

Post Posted: October 8th, 2017, 2:12 pm 

...Wow that seems way out of my grasp. I think I may have to find an inferior non-chili tutorial to get myself started.

Post Posted: October 8th, 2017, 7:55 pm 

I would avoid using c++ and winapi for doing UI stuff if at all possible. Go c# with .net if targetting windows. If targeting all platforms, see if you can find a framework that would suit your fancy.

Post Posted: October 8th, 2017, 9:57 pm 

I would almost agree with you cameron. C# does make things easier sometimes, and the language syntax isn't TOO different than C++. I still think giving C++ and the Win32 API a go is still worthwhile. In the end though, the .Net framework does make life easier when making Windows GUI applications.

Perhaps a c++ library exists that mimicks the .Net framework...haven't looked.

Post Posted: October 9th, 2017, 2:16 am 
Site Admin

I like C# for making simple UI apps. If you wanna go hog wild with an app in C++, Qt framework is worth a look. If you wanna try .NET with C++, managed C++ is a thing, though it personally revolts me for some reason.

These tutorials aided me in learning some of the basics of Win32 back in the day, and they're still relevant. http://www.relisoft.com/Win32/index.htm

Post Posted: October 9th, 2017, 3:13 am 

Thanks for the push in the right direction guys.

Board index » Everything