Fuly polished game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
eyad

Fuly polished game

Post by eyad » October 29th, 2017, 6:05 pm

well, in "Update [Moving] 2017/06/16" video chili asked why people just submit there work without polishing.
in response to that, i polished my biggest demo of them all so that i can advance in it's development without leaving anything behind.

i said before i would add AI to it but, i'm not a savage :lol: , polishing comes first.

hope this one gets to the update videos too :mrgreen:

info and statistics:
it took me 10 months and 2 days to complete the game as it is
Development time: 126 hours and 24 mins
my knowledge was (and still) based on the old series + hugs
Code: https://github.com/xEyad/Chess
known issues:
king may(can) do moves he shouldn't (like moving to a threatened tile)
Running the game in debug mode won't make it playable (very very very slow)

attached text file is just a log file i created to while developing the game to monitor it's progress and time spent on it, i just uploaded it for the sake of completion
Attachments
Development Log.txt
(8.27 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Chrajdal

Re: Fuly polished game

Post by Chrajdal » October 29th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Hey! I really appreciate someone who did this, because of my failed attempts. :D

Please remove:
backgroundSprite(new Surface(Surface::FromFile(L"D:\\workshop\\Chess\\Engine\\Resources\\images\\startMenu.jpg")), Vec2I( 0,0 ))

from every Surface loading you have! :D

How do you detect winning condition?
When I try to attack king as white with
1 d3 - c6
2 Qd2 - h6
3 Qa5 - h5
4 Qd8+ - Kd8
the king does'nt move (just the queen dissapears)

also when I tried and took all black pieces, black king could sometimes go in the 'check' position.

You might wanna look into that :)

Anyways, nice job, keep up! Looking forward to see the fixes and maybe AI sometime - have you read/heard of minimax (alpha beta pruning) or similar algorithms?

Edit: Also sometimes you can see possible moves when there should'nt be like in the picture:
Attachments
chess.PNG
(316.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet

eyad

Post by eyad » October 29th, 2017, 7:50 pm

first of all i really appericiate that you tried it out and even more, you pointed out some bugs, thanks for that dude.
Chrajdal wrote: Please remove:
backgroundSprite(new Surface(Surface::FromFile(L"D:\\workshop\\Chess\\Engine\\Resources\\images\\startMenu.jpg")), Vec2I( 0,0 ))

from every Surface loading you have! :D
you can't imagine how much i would like to do this, and also how many times i tried to. for some reason
the std::wstring is fucked up, it always give me this <error couldn't read characters> when i try to pass the location as variable to this function "Surface::FromFile()"
Chrajdal wrote: How do you detect winning condition?
When I try to attack king as white with
1 d3 - c6
2 Qd2 - h6
3 Qa5 - h5
4 Qd8+ - Kd8
the king does'nt move (just the queen dissapears)
the king freezes cause he is terrified :lol: . seriously tho, i don't check for winning. in a typical game it should ends when it's the losing player turn and he can't move (cause there isn't any available moves) . that being said, you reminded me that i don't actually check for this case and show a winner screen. so thanks i will add it to the "to do list"
Chrajdal wrote: also when I tried and took all black pieces, black king could sometimes go in the 'check' position.

You might wanna look into that :)
funny thing is, whenever i fix something, tons of other bugs appear :lol: . i will look into it

if by minMax you mean AI algorithm, then yea chili told me about it, but i didn't actually get to read it -yet-

Chrajdal

Post by Chrajdal » October 29th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I just want you to remove this part: "D:\\workshop\\Chess\\Engine\\"
So this:

Code: Select all

backgroundSprite(new Surface(Surface::FromFile(L"D:\\workshop\\Chess\\Engine\\Resources\\images\\startMenu.jpg")), Vec2I( 0,0 ));
becomes this:

Code: Select all

backgroundSprite(new Surface(Surface::FromFile(L"Resources\\images\\startMenu.jpg")), Vec2I( 0,0 ));
the king freezes cause he is terrified :lol: . seriously tho, i don't check for winning. in a typical game it should ends when it's the losing player turn and he can't move (cause there isn't any available moves) . that being said, you reminded me that i don't actually check for this case and show a winner screen. so thanks i will add it to the "to do list"
I actually haven't been able to see winner screen yet :D ... and i tried like 5 times, then I just gave up.