Planet Chili Algorithm Challenge 1

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Planet Chili Algorithm Challenge 1

Post by chili » August 31st, 2017, 1:06 am

albinopapa wrote:I'll be shocked to see someone not in a Uni course get this one right. Chili is really big into AI and this makes me think the solution will require knowledge of MINIMAX ( minimum risk, maximum reward ).

I'm going to assume the result will not depend on the depth of the "tree", since you will not always know or won't always be able to calculate the depth because of complexity or memory requirements?
Not at all bro.

MiniMax is an adversarial search algorithm. Typically you have two alternating plies and you are trying to minimize one while maximizing the other. Here we only want to maximize. There are some similarities, but the two cases are quite distinct.
StarPirate202 wrote:Do we only need the maximum path value? Should the program write 2 -> 3 -> 9 -> 9 or only 23?
Only the value, as stated in the problem statement ;)
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 31st, 2017, 1:56 am

MrGodin wrote:I'm thinking of a hash table... gotta try this challenge. somehow i think it'll go bottom to top... probably wrong but i'll try :P
Yeah, the video says only things learned upto the current intermediate series, so no hash tables.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

MrGodin

Post by MrGodin » August 31st, 2017, 4:16 am

albinopapa wrote:
MrGodin wrote:I'm thinking of a hash table... gotta try this challenge. somehow i think it'll go bottom to top... probably wrong but i'll try :P
Yeah, the video says only things learned upto the current intermediate series, so no hash tables.
yeah, you're right, but i think i know a method ;).. maybe lol
Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back

ThreeNPlusOne

Post by ThreeNPlusOne » August 31st, 2017, 7:24 am

goldengamesTM wrote:When I opened the file in note pad it was messed up. Like this.
I think it's messed up because of wrapping, the numbers wrap to the next line. Just uncheck Format > Word Wrap and it should look nicer. You'll have to use horizontal scrolling though, which is probably why you enabled word wrap in the first place.

dizaztor

Post by dizaztor » August 31st, 2017, 7:52 am

EDIT 0: nvm, should have paid attention to the video.
Last edited by dizaztor on August 31st, 2017, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 31st, 2017, 7:54 am

dizaztor wrote:Hi, I have made a Python script that does this thing. And I got the answer.
Cool, pm me the answer if you wanna be in the running.
Chili

NapalmHammer

Post by NapalmHammer » September 2nd, 2017, 2:12 pm

Hey, Chili! I believe I solved it. I looked for the option to pm, and it appears I haven't been active enough on the forum to be granted that feature. I thought to myself "I'm sure I posted on here before" but evidently, -thinking- isn't DOING. (0 posts until now)

Anyhow, I have spent 5 or 6 hours trying to solve the challenge myself. Beginning with brute force, then realizing that you made the pyramid so deep quite intentionally. I then turned to google for help, and had a solid facepalm moment, haha.

Edit: I just discovered you already put out the solution video, 6 hours ago even haha. I did get the correct answer, so that was encouraging. And it certainly was a learning experience. I look forward to participating in future challenges!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 2nd, 2017, 3:52 pm

Nice bro. No big deal about making the submission, that's just a bit of funsies. The important thing is doing the challenge and working out the old grey matter.

Keep an eye open for the next challenge ;)
Chili