Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Everything

Post subject: VS Text Editing Help
 Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 3:09 pm 

Is there a way to turn off the feature to where VS auto highlights text. It's hard to explain what this feature is or whats its doing but I included I screen shot and I highlighted in red what I don't like. Basically I want this to act like a regular text editor. Does anybody have any idea what I'm trying to describe and/or how to turn it off.

Attachments:
Untitled.png [82.5 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
 Post subject: Re: VS Text Editing Help
 Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 4:26 pm 

It looks like you're just selecting the code. I do recall having had an odd thing happen where the selecting goes mad and it deletes all kinds of stuff. Restarting Visual Studio fixed it for me.

Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 7:37 pm 

Try going to Tools / Options, then look through the settings. You might find what you are looking for under Text Editor, then under one of those settings.

If all else, use Notepad, Notepad++, VIM or another editor and when you are ready to compile, import the files into your Visual Studio project before compiling. I would suggest Visual Code, but it probably has the same syntax highlighting as Visual Studio.

Honestly, not sure why you'd want to disable highlighting. I find it quite useful and fret when it's not working. I use it to find at a glance or quick scroll, variables I may want to change or delete. The matching brace and matching parentheses are helpful as well, if you miss one somewhere a couple pages down. To each his/her own though.

Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 8:48 pm 

just go where albinopapa says, but Text Editor -> C/C++ -> View, change Highlight Matching Tokens under Miscellaneous

Post Posted: August 10th, 2017, 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the save Luis, didn't want to look further. Figured I'd get'em close and they could figure out/search for the rest.

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 4:55 am 

Ok thanks for that. The reason I want to disable it is because I'm used to 2010 version and that wasn't in there. I can definitely see where that would come in handy but for now its causing me to delete shit that I don't want to lol

Post Posted: August 11th, 2017, 5:54 am 

That's never good.

Board index » Everything