Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Everything

Post Posted: August 6th, 2017, 11:33 pm 

Hey guys, I'm Crystal. Other usernames around the web include cistle, vanillahearts62, and zerocrys.

I'm a comp sci student just starting out. I have done a couple courses in Java and will be continuing in C++ in the near future. I've posted on here before I started going to school, just learnin' on my own. I've done the tutorials for the poo game, except it became a smiley face eating neon coloured hotdogs. That was a couple years ago, but as I am in school learning all the details, I am getting much more comfortable with things. I have a lot more background knowledge thanks to Java, so now I'm just in the process of translating it over to C++ because lets face it, C++ is the bomb. I'm really intrigued by the Arkanoid game, but I think it might be a little bit too advanced for me at the moment. I'll try some other tutorials. Do any of you have anything to suggest?

As I've never done a formal introduction, here is some information about me.
I am from Canada, specifically the west coast. I'm almost 30 (tears) and I have a bachelors of science degree in psychology, with the science part being neurobiology. I'm interested in robotics, collecting rocks, video games (very stoked for Star Citizen 3.0), oil painting, and reading.

I've come back to Planet Chili because I want to make some friends and get better at C++. I figured this is one of the better resources out there that I have found, and Chili's tutorials have been really helpful.

As to make this more of a journal, I need to set some goals.

I think I'm going to revisit the poo game and really polish it up. Start from the beginning. Right now the graphics look like some crack head programmed it while high. I want to make it into something I'm at least sorta proud of showing other people besides my mom.

Another goal would be to complete my current course (I'm doing it through distance this time around, so I don't have any classmates, yay!) so I can move onto the next Java course, which then I can do the C++ course.

I also want to understand the framework. There's the .h files and such, and I have no clue what those all mean. I'm used to Java where you have your main method and some other classes. So I want to be able to learn more about each component of the framework and how it all comes together.

Cheers

Post Posted: August 7th, 2017, 2:28 am 

Welcome to the forums, for C++ and amateur game dev, you've come to the right place.

Impressive background coming in. Programming should be easy enough for you. Once you know one language, you have a pretty good understanding of most all. C++ is freedom and responsibility. Languages like Java and C# are I believe managed languages taking care of resource management for you. C++ gives you more fine grained control of the lifetime of your resources. The file layout is usually split up into two, a header and a source file.

The header file ( .h ) is usually where the interface lives. It tells the compiler and users what methods and members are public for them to use and which are private and only objects of that class can use.

The source file (.cpp) is usually where the magic happens. This is where you put all your method definitions.

Give it time and practice, you'll be fine. Need any help, come ask us.

Post Posted: August 7th, 2017, 10:41 am 

Albinopapa wrote:
Need any help, come ask us.

I can confirm that, they're really helpful here. If you have a short question you can also check out the Discord channel. https://discordapp.com/invite/apdsr56

Good luck learning C++!

Post Posted: August 8th, 2017, 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

These threads are always a good time. Welcome to the forum m8

As for the .h/.cpp stuff, I give more details on that later on in the Beginner series (check Compiler Confessions & Circular Dependency videos).

Post Posted: August 8th, 2017, 7:21 pm 

Thanks guys. I think that I'll have to restart the series. Now that I know the basics a lot better, I'm expecting it to go smoother. Hopefully I can make something cool in the near future.

Board index » Everything