Hey Chili!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
goldengamesTM

Hey Chili!

Post by goldengamesTM » August 2nd, 2017, 8:37 pm

Hey Chili, I want to add colliding physics to this. How do I go about doing that? I have tried different things but none worked. I left the code in for you.
Attachments
New folder.zip
(4.46 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
Last edited by goldengamesTM on August 2nd, 2017, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albinopapa

Re: Hey Chili!

Post by albinopapa » August 2nd, 2017, 11:20 pm

You need more than the .sln file to open the project. You need to upload the entire solution folder, or create a GitHub account, upload your project to your GitHub account and share the link. You can check chili's videos on how to create a repository on GitHub.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » August 2nd, 2017, 11:33 pm

For rectangle collision,

Code: Select all

// Not real code, can't copy and paste this shit and expect it to work.  You'll have to come up with the real code yourself.
rect_a
rect_b

if
rect_a.left <= rect_b.right and rect_a.right > rect_b.left and
rect_a.top <= rect_b.bottom and rect_a.bottom > rect_b.top then 
collision = true;
If you don't have a rect class, then left is usually the xPosition, right is the xPosition + width, top is yPosition and bottom is yPosition + height.

That is collision detection. The correction part is still a mystery to me lol. If rect_a is coming from the top, then push up ( yPosition += rect_b.top - rect_a.bottom ), if coming from the left add the difference of overlap along the left of B and the right of A to the xPosition. When coming from the corners ( overlap on top or bottom and one of the sides ) one way of doing it would be to get the opposite direction the moving object was going in and move it until there is no overlap.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

goldengamesTM

Post by goldengamesTM » August 2nd, 2017, 11:48 pm

albinopapa wrote:For rectangle collision,

Code: Select all

// Not real code, can't copy and paste this shit and expect it to work.  You'll have to come up with the real code yourself.
rect_a
rect_b

if
rect_a.left <= rect_b.right and rect_a.right > rect_b.left and
rect_a.top <= rect_b.bottom and rect_a.bottom > rect_b.top then 
collision = true;

If you don't have a rect class, then left is usually the xPosition, right is the xPosition + width, top is yPosition and bottom is yPosition + height.

That is collision detection. The correction part is still a mystery to me lol. If rect_a is coming from the top, then push up ( yPosition += rect_b.top - rect_a.bottom ), if coming from the left add the difference of overlap along the left of B and the right of A to the xPosition. When coming from the corners ( overlap on top or bottom and one of the sides ) one way of doing it would be to get the opposite direction the moving object was going in and move it until there is no overlap.
I Added The Solution So You Can Look At The Code Yourself And See The Dumb Way I Did That.