I can't get Chili Framework to work

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Moritonel

I can't get Chili Framework to work

Post by Moritonel » July 18th, 2017, 7:20 am

Unable to start program C:\Users\micks\Desktop\Chili Framework 2016\Release\Engine.exe
The debugger is not properly installed. Run setup to install or repair the debugger

I'm looking for motnh for a guide for beginner. I always run into problems.

I repaired my VS 2017 installation. I reinstalled competly. I reinstalled my OS. Always the same error. I tried google and your forums search. Anyone who can help me? I rly want to learn c++ and atm my motivation is pretty low. I fought so hard with VS 2017 to work. With an other IDE I always had problems to get the compiler to work and damn I'm exhausted. Software NEVER works for me at the first try.

- watched Chili YT video
- it happens as i click on "Local Windows Debugger"
- Windows 10 64 bit
- Visual Studios 2017 (fresh downloaded from ms and updated) english

Need any information? I would blow you for help.

Mori

albinopapa

Re: I can't get Chili Framework to work

Post by albinopapa » July 18th, 2017, 7:38 am

What options did you select when installing Visual Studio 2017? C#, C++, etc?

This seems to be the most reported resolution
Clean folders:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug

Then recover Visual Studio
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » July 18th, 2017, 7:39 am

As far as I know VS 2017 isn't the same as VS 2015, the one Chili is using. I still got 2017 to work on my laptop, but perhaps if you downloaded 2015 and followed Chili's steps it might work? This is just wild speculation though.

You've probably looked at these already, but I did a quick google search:
https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... -debu.html

https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... run-s.html

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/429 ... ested-type

It seems to happen whenever dlls corrupts.

Moritonel

Post by Moritonel » July 18th, 2017, 7:51 am

albinopapa wrote:What options did you select when installing Visual Studio 2017? C#, C++, etc?
Exactly the same as in this video Visual Studio 2017 C++ Installation [Beginner C++ Chili Framework DirectX]

default settings +
-Desktop development with C++
-Class Designer
-Git for Windows
-GitHub extension for Visual Studio
-NuGet package manager
-Standard Library Modules

Zedtho wrote:As far as I know VS 2017 isn't the same as VS 2015, the one Chili is using. I still got 2017 to work on my laptop, but perhaps if you downloaded 2015 and followed Chili's steps it might work? This is just wild speculation though.
I rly don't want to downgrade and Chili did a Video with the 2017 VS, so it should work? Or do you think its just outdated and I should looking for something fresh?
Zedtho wrote:As far as I know VS 2017 isn't the same as VS 2015, the one Chili is using. I still got 2017 to work on my laptop, but perhaps if you downloaded 2015 and followed Chili's steps it might work? This is just wild speculation though.

You've probably looked at these already, but I did a quick google search:
https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... -debu.html

https://developercommunity.visualstudio ... run-s.html

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/429 ... ested-type

It seems to happen whenever dlls corrupts.

The main solution I found was
I solved this problem for Visual Studio 2017 Community.

Clean folders: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\VS7Debug

Then recover Visual Studio

P.S. This issue happen because dlls corrupted. Here is this case : https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/yash/2 ... t-working/

P.P.S Other advices here are workarounds.
Did not work for me :/

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 18th, 2017, 8:11 am

From the wiki:
Since this video was recorded, Microsoft has released Visual Studio 2017 Community. You can still download VS2015 and use it for the tutorials, and this might make things a little simpler, but the new Visual Studio 2017 can also be used in the tutorials. However, the installation process for VS2017 is different, and when you open a Framework solution in VS2017 for the first time, there is an automatic dialog that you need to handle in order to upgrade the solution to VS2017 (And sometimes, even if you handle the dialog properly, you still get fucked over and have to fix things manually. Thanks Obama!).
I also mention it in the video, but there is literally zero benefit and several possible downsides to using 2017. The only reason I made that video is because I know that there are gonna be a lot of kids that wanna get 2017 because "2017 > 2015 and thus it must be better! It's just simple math!".

Seriously though, do yourself a favor and make the smart choice. Fuck VS 2017 and come and hang out with all the cool kids in 2015.
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 18th, 2017, 8:20 am

Yeah, 2017 seems to have issues with it anyway. Intellisense and auto-complete randomly stopping or misbehaving is my biggest complaint and it's actually a show stopper for me. I mainly code in 2015.3 and occasionally go to 2017 to check if they've fixed the issues. This early in the game you won't need any of the updated stuff anyway. The only downside to VS 2015.3 is the hour long install.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Moritonel

Post by Moritonel » July 18th, 2017, 8:32 am

chili wrote: The only reason I made that video is because I know that there are gonna be a lot of kids that wanna get 2017 because "2017 > 2015 and thus it must be better! It's just simple math!".
For me as a newbie. Yep exactly that.
chili wrote: Seriously though, do yourself a favor and make the smart choice. Fuck VS 2017 and come and hang out with all the cool kids in 2015.

So just to be sure, 2015 is not "outdated" like I called it, its just an up to date version with some new feat. missing, I would never use anyway?
albinopapa wrote:Yeah, 2017 seems to have issues with it anyway. Intellisense and auto-complete randomly stopping or misbehaving is my biggest complaint and it's actually a show stopper for me. I mainly code in 2015.3 and occasionally go to 2017 to check if they've fixed the issues. This early in the game you won't need any of the updated stuff anyway. The only downside to VS 2015.3 is the hour long install.
Alright, I install 2015 later this day and tell you if it works 1st try over there :).

Thanks for those fast responses!

Edit: 2015 worked 1st try. Thanks guys! :D

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 18th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Yeah man, now you're cooking with propane ;)
Chili