Renaissance

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Renaissance

Post by chili » June 24th, 2017, 11:38 am

Over the past week or so it seems like the board has been experiencing a Renaissance of sorts. Been seeing a lot more posts than usual and some cool content/creations as well. I've been super busy with getting ready for the move and haven't been able to check it all out, but once things setting down I look forward to going over it all.

Hopefully the board will continue to grow. I remember back in the heyday, back in 2013/2014 we had a real active community on here, new topics going off the front page in under a day sometimes. It was fuckin' good times mang, I'd like to bring that back. Sometime in the near future I'd like to start doing coding challenges, and I think I'll make the forum the central hub for all that BS. Should be fun.

Now excuse me while I fuck some cardboard boxes up.
Chili

Zedtho

Re: Renaissance

Post by Zedtho » June 24th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Might be because its summer and people have time now. I sure do have more time to program :D
For a second there I thought you meant the last sentence literally and then I remembered you were moving. Good luck though!

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 24th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Yeah, get them boxes girl.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » June 25th, 2017, 12:00 am

Hope it's not all due to me spamming super hard in my thread :D

GL with the move!

Battlefrog

Post by Battlefrog » June 25th, 2017, 2:35 am

albinopapa wrote: girl.
This changes everything.
Broc W.

Sole Member of Sledgehog Software, trademark and LLC status pending.

Florian3321

Post by Florian3321 » June 25th, 2017, 10:09 am

Coding challenges would be a very cool thing! Looking foreword to it!

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » June 25th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Could you do those on like friday evenings? During the week you'd have less participants

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » June 25th, 2017, 10:19 pm

@Battlefrog, Just being funny, chili is a dude...or a deep voiced lesbian with a girlfriend.
@Zedtho, This would only be an issue if done live, surely the day the challenge is issued wouldn't make a difference allowing for a couple of days to complete the challenge.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

DEM0N194

Post by DEM0N194 » June 25th, 2017, 11:47 pm

oooh I like the idea of coding challenges, I'm definitely keeping an eye out for those in the future

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 1st, 2017, 5:01 am

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly when I want to start that stuff, but hopefully soon-ish. I will be teaching vector soon, which is pretty essential to getting shit done, but stuff like std::unordered_map or <algorithm>s will not be covered for a little while yet. I think I will probably issue one or two challenges before all that stuff gets covered, and basically just leave it to the challengers to figure out if they already don't know.

As for the timing, I do think that Friday is a good idea. It is also generally when I time most of the video releases. Not sure how long for the period or how the ranking will be compiled (first to submit vs. better performance/results).
Chili