Journal

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Journal

Post by albinopapa » July 11th, 2017, 7:36 am

chili wrote:(float is fine though :kappa:)
Wait, what?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 11th, 2017, 8:47 am

albinopapa wrote:
chili wrote:(float is fine though :kappa:)
Wait, what?
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (5.93 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Chili

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » July 15th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Decided to finally continue watching the series. Currently at the 2d vectors episode and think I know what the answer to the puzzle is
Spoiler:
As far as I know, currently, the poo goes up ,down, left and right by 1. But, this means that its speed is the squareroot of (1+1), about 1.414213... when it goes diagonally, compared to the speed of 1 when only going on the x or y axis. So, Chili wants us to move by a fixed number in any direction.
I might be wrong about the puzzle though, because question 2 kind of completes question 1 in this example.
Aside from that though, vectors are still kind of confusing to me. Do they represent a speed, direction or spot on the grid? I'll watch the video again but hear me out: I don't think it's a speed but that if the delta is 1 that the bigger the vector is the further it goes. It's kind of a direction, but then the vectors [1,2] and [2, 4] would be the same, which they aren't. I think this is what differentiates them from being a position, too. They're kind of a position, direction and speed combined. But this is just my imagination of them. Don't know why I wrote it here, I guess it makes it easier to understand vectors for me.

TL;DR
(I think) A vector is a direction that has a speed (like km/h in this case V * Delta) and a position incorporated in it. So, all the information one needs to do all kinds of good stuff.

Anyways, I'll go watch the video again and then do the homework before I continue watching the next episode.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 15th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Yes, a math vector has direction and speed, going northeast at 25 kph ( 3.5355 kp/h north and 3.5355 kp/h east ).

It can represent a point on a grid, if you think of it as a direction and distance from the origin.

It can represent distance and direction from one point to another.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 16th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Yeah, you have the right idea with the puzzle.

As for your question, papa has it right of course.

A vector can represent all sorts of different things, its meaning is not fixed. Just a like a scalar number 69 could be a weight, an age, a magnitude of force, or a distance. A vector can represent a force (with both magnitude and direction), a velocity (which is speed + direction), an acceleration, a displacement (which is a relative position), an absolute position (which is a displacement from the origin), etc.
Chili

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » July 28th, 2017, 8:16 am

They make a lot more sense now, thanks for answering :D

I added Simon Says to this thread and am currently working on something else.