First project, feedback appreciated :)

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
BerlingSwe

First project, feedback appreciated :)

Post by BerlingSwe » June 17th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Hello and welcome to myself. My name is BerlingSwe, and I've been watching Chili's YouTube tutorials for a couple of months now. I made it to about tutorial 14 before I decided to join the forums too and interact with other programmers and get feedback from the community. I recently subscribed to Chili's patreon because, let's face it, Chili's tutorials are beyond amazing. (Thank you very much)

Anyway, here is my first project I uploaded to GitHub:
https://github.com/BerlingSwe/GridGame
ReleaseGridGame.rar
Here is the game download :)
(467.65 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
It is a simple box game, based on a grid. At the time, it is very similar to the Snek Game, but I plan to add a lot of features;
[-] = not implemented [X] = implemented
[-]Collecting and placing "blocks/boxes" with the player (with collision)
[-]Simple level design (with collsion)
[-]Drawing blocks with your mouse (click on the screen anywhere and it fills in the empty box you
clicked over)

[-]Enemies (killable)
[-]Health
[X]Sound effects (recently added sound support and sound file for collecting the coin

One thing I am also planning, is to pretty up some of the poorly written code, and implement current features a little better. But don't take that into consideration when giving feedback down below, the more feedback and critique I receive, the more I progress in my programming life.
Thank you for checking this thread out!

chili
Site Admin

Re: First project, feedback appreciated :)

Post by chili » June 18th, 2017, 5:11 am

Looks like a good start bro. The first thing I'm going to say is, you should have the Location variables as part of the game entity classes. So Coin should store its own location as private member data, and it should not need location passed in in order to draw itself.
Chili

Zedtho

Post by Zedtho » June 18th, 2017, 6:34 am

How did Chili access the code? It was just a .exe file with audio with it for me?

Anyways, seems like you've understood the grid! I haven't yet... So I'll have to rewatch that episode.

BerlingSwe

Post by BerlingSwe » June 18th, 2017, 7:57 am

Zedtho wrote:How did Chili access the code? It was just a .exe file with audio with it for me?

Anyways, seems like you've understood the grid! I haven't yet... So I'll have to rewatch that episode.
There is a github link :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 18th, 2017, 7:57 am

github master race 8-)
Chili

BerlingSwe

Post by BerlingSwe » June 18th, 2017, 8:07 am

chili wrote:Looks like a good start bro. The first thing I'm going to say is, you should have the Location variables as part of the game entity classes. So Coin should store its own location as private member data, and it should not need location passed in in order to draw itself.
Okay, I see what you mean.

I also spent 4 hours trying to get drawing blocks to work, and I finally did it, but my plan to do it with arrays didnt work too well (ended up corrupting my whole project lol) so I had restart from the git code. But anyways, the code for drawing blocks right now is in my opinion horribly written, so I would need some guidance on how to write it better. I will update it as soon as I can