My 2D platformer shit so far...

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Naewulf

My 2D platformer shit so far...

Post by Naewulf » June 19th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Here's what I've been cookin' :twisted:.

A, D moves the square;
Delete makes it jump;
Shift is bullet time bro (just because its awesome, no real reason).

EDIT: nvm the top-left squares, one represents that youre on the floor and the other one is for when the bullet time is on. Forgot to remove those.

Here's a pic of what it looks like right now so you dont get frustrated if you decide to download the .exe:
Engine 19-06-2017 14-12-09-980.png
A shitty picture of the work in progress.
(6.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If you find any bug let me know. Right now it just jumps around with no objective, but the idea was to test physics stuff.
Here's the thing:
jumping square shit.rar
The .exe
(111.27 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
Update 1: Fixed the jumping bug and added some movement to the curve (=
jumping_square_crazy_bezier.rar
Update 1, with fixed jump and curve movement.
(113.44 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Last edited by Naewulf on June 22nd, 2017, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xu2201g

Re: My 2D platformer shit so far...

Post by xu2201g » June 19th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Hi,
this looks interesting, moving those control points would be cool. Dont know if its just me but i think the jump height is slightly less when you jump completly in bullettime.

DEM0N194

Post by DEM0N194 » June 19th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Nah I think the jump height is the same ... you just have to hold delete longer to jump higher.
I think it's really cool stuff dude... I'll have to play around with jump mechanics too.

Naewulf

Post by Naewulf » June 20th, 2017, 9:55 am

DEM0N194 wrote:Nah I think the jump height is the same ... you just have to hold delete longer to jump higher.
I think it's really cool stuff dude... I'll have to play around with jump mechanics too.
Tell me if you need help with anything. I would be glad to help.

Naewulf

Post by Naewulf » June 20th, 2017, 12:37 pm

xu2201g wrote:Hi,
this looks interesting, moving those control points would be cool. Dont know if its just me but i think the jump height is slightly less when you jump completly in bullettime.
Thanks bro, I didnt notice that. It really jumps a little higher if you have the bullettime disabled. Gonna try and fix that. I would never have noticed that bug lol.

xu2201g

Post by xu2201g » June 20th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Ye its only about some pixels, but those little bugs can fck u up when the game gets bigger and bigger. But it depends on your goals for this project and may doesnt even matter. You re welcome.

Naewulf

Post by Naewulf » June 20th, 2017, 8:05 pm

xu2201g wrote:Ye its only about some pixels, but those little bugs can fck u up when the game gets bigger and bigger. But it depends on your goals for this project and may doesnt even matter. You re welcome.
yeah that bug has already fucked me up, because I cant live with unsolved issues... and cant seem to find a solution to that shit yet lol.

xu2201g

Post by xu2201g » June 20th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Do you have a github repo or something like that to show us your code? Its hard to pin down the problem without seeing the code.

If u want to setup git here is video from chili about that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGwKHbq ... BHBFFRVWsx

Naewulf

Post by Naewulf » June 21st, 2017, 2:18 am

xu2201g wrote:Do you have a github repo or something like that to show us your code? Its hard to pin down the problem without seeing the code.

oh, it sure would be nice to have some help here but I will try a little more before giving up since we learn more by solving problems ourselves, but if i dont manage to fix that at all I will upload it somewhere then. Thanks for your help bro. I really appreciate it.

Naewulf

Post by Naewulf » June 21st, 2017, 3:35 pm

xu2201g wrote:Do you have a github repo or something like that to show us your code? Its hard to pin down the problem without seeing the code.

ok. I give up. Here's the repo. Any help will be appreciated. Now I draw a red like that indicates the max jump height. In bullet time the red line stays in the same spot at full jump and it works ok, but it varies a lot when not in the bullet time.

NVM the garbage draw calls... most of them are test shit that will go away eventually xD

Link: https://github.com/Naewulf/DX