different projects on Chili Framework Solution

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
jonnyrelish

different projects on Chili Framework Solution

Post by jonnyrelish » June 4th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Hey guys! I'm super new to this stuff and I'm having a great time! however after Chili mentioned to get some shitty game making practice done, i realized i have a problem, (yes....lack of knowledge) but first things first i cant figure out how to have simultaneous projects using the Chili framework, i would like to follow along with the tutorials but at the same time have some shitty games in progress to work on and experiment with, as it goes now ive been copying everything in the cpp. and h. files to notepad then swapping it out, must be a better way.
Feel free to let me know how green i am lol.

krautersuppe

Re: different projects on Chili Framework Solution

Post by krautersuppe » June 4th, 2017, 11:06 pm

jonnyrelish wrote: i cant figure out how to have simultaneous projects using the Chili framework, i would like to follow along with the tutorials but at the same time have some shitty games in progress to work on and experiment with, as it goes now ive been copying everything in the cpp. and h. files to notepad then swapping it out, must be a better way.
Well as for first few tutorials - I save code in text files too - it is reasonable to do so because it takes less space. You can of course make a copy of framework - then rename it and have 1 framework file per tutorial and homework.Then again its somewhere about 70 MB of space. If you wan't to save space then just follow these(sometimes there is a hidden .vs folder that needs to be deleted too) instructions. It will still leave you with 1-2 MB folder though compared to several KB text file.
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 5th, 2017, 12:17 am

Yeah, I would recommend just making copies of the solution folder when you want to make a new project.
Chili

jonnyrelish

Post by jonnyrelish » June 5th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Thanks herbal soup, its good to know what I'm doing isn't off the beaten path for someone in their coding infancy :)
I gotta admit I'm not one to post anything online, ever! (besides FB melarky) this is my first forum post. So thanks for your reply!!!

(insert funny yet meaningful quote)

jonnyrelish

Post by jonnyrelish » June 5th, 2017, 1:15 pm

The man! Chili!!! i wont grease your chain too much, but i must mention how great it is what your doing! You make this more accessible than i ever thought it was, its reinvigorated my passion for creativity that i used to have as a wee boy, ya know before life happened. Any shit i still have some fingering out to do with copying the solution folder, (did i mention i was green) but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Gonna keep on givin er!!!
Keep up the amazing work!!!!!!!!!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 6th, 2017, 9:45 am

Awesome bro, keep that enthusiasm and you'll go far. Don't be afraid to ask for help either, we can get you pointed in the right direction if you stray off the path.
Chili

jonnyrelish

Post by jonnyrelish » June 12th, 2017, 1:18 am

YES! all fingered out!! i knew it was gonna be something simple, after copying the solution folder i just had to rename the solution (Chili Framework 2016) in visual studio and also rename "Engine" in visual studio... i think what was fucking me up was the tutorials i was finding on the interwebs were more complicated than this, maybe from older versions of visual studio.
I don't know how proper this is but it works for now :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 12th, 2017, 1:26 am

Seems fine, but don't ever say "fingered out" in this context again :lol:
Chili