New Project?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Byteraver

New Project?

Post by Byteraver » May 16th, 2017, 6:39 pm

'Sup guys

I finished the Arkanoid clone and never looked back. Maybe I should've, but I didn't :twisted:
Now I'm dying to see more of these awesome 3D tutorial video's but Chili's been focusing on other series recently. So I need something to stay busy in the meantime. However, I'm not the guy with the great idea's. So does anybody have any idea? Has to be 2D for now. I've been thinking about platformers or dune II - like rts games. Biggest problem is the graphics usually. Hats off to Yumtard, he either has mad drawing skills or lots of talented willing friends :lol:
Anyway. Talk to me :)

- Erland

chili
Site Admin

Re: New Project?

Post by chili » May 17th, 2017, 10:05 am

Yo dawg, long time no see!
Does that mean you haven't sampled the wonders of Memesweeper? *tsk tsk*

Good news bro, 3D Fundamentals is gonna get a new installment in the somewhat near future. Look forward to it ;)

RTS and platformer both sound pretty good man. As for the art situation, it doesn't have to be a obstacle.

First of all, if you can get away with making your graphics just basic geometry/abstract/procedural requiring 0 art assets, go for it. Sure, it's harder to make a game engaging with simple graphics like that, but it just means that when your game is decent, it's because you got good mechanics/design.

Second of all, if you're just doing shit for practice and shits and giggles, go ahead a be a huge art thief. Nobody really cares if you're only using it privately or sharing with a small amount of ppl. As long as you aren't doing a wide release, or charging money at any scale, the FBI probably won't be busting down your door. And if you do get to the point where you wanna go wide/commerical, at that time you can look at replacing the assets with something that won't get your ass in trouble :P

And programmer art is also a thing. And there are websites online that have collections of public-domain game art (not the greatest selection/quality, but the price is right ;)).
Chili

Manieknr1

Post by Manieknr1 » May 17th, 2017, 6:27 pm

You can always become an ultimate paint warrior.

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » May 18th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies! @Manieknr1: google "paint warrior" for giggles ;)

@Chili: I made a minesweeper clone about 20 years ago in Watcom C, had to increase the stack for that one ;) So I'm like "been there, done that" when it comes to the recursive function.

I thought about ripping the graphics of Dune II (as many others did before me) but then you're kind of limited to the graphics the game shipped with, unless you are able to draw your own units / buildings / whatever in the same style of course. I'll probably go for procedural graphics as I did before.

Thanks for the programmer art article, it is very educational and well written, good stuff.

I think I might go for the rts game, as it would be challenging programming-wise. But if somebody has a great idea or request :mrgreen: don't hesitate, sharing is caring :)

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 19th, 2017, 1:03 am

My request is that you rip the art from Cho Aniki to make your RTS game.
Chili

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » May 20th, 2017, 2:57 pm

DUDE WHAT
and there are like several versions of it
oh my god my EYES

How do they say it "on the internet"? Ah right, "never nuke the same country twice" :o

On the upside, the music is good. But I think I'll stick with procedural graphics. My bad for asking :lol:

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » May 20th, 2017, 4:35 pm

What's your problem?
Chili

Byteraver

Post by Byteraver » May 21st, 2017, 8:27 pm

I'm sitting here thinking about what to reply. I shouldn't feed the animal, since the only way from here on is down :lol:

Thanks for the short tour of the Japanese (gaming) sub-genre though, very educational :D You're definitely a man of culture.

Battlefrog

Post by Battlefrog » June 4th, 2017, 1:01 am

Like the URL on that picture 8-)
Broc W.

Sole Member of Sledgehog Software, trademark and LLC status pending.