Error Message

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Error Message

Post by albinopapa » April 24th, 2017, 5:25 pm

@cyboryxmen, I like my AMD A10 7870K APU. I can't crank up the settings on all games and still expect it to be playable, and it only shares 1MB of the system memory for rendering, but I can play the games I have at 30-60 fps most of the time including Rocket League. Chipset video implementations are old news and were never that good.

I'm really wanting to see what AMD are going to do with their Ryzen APUs. If they have HBM2 memory then 4GB of high bandwidth memory will be dedicated to on chip video, and using the new ryzen cores with possibly the new Vega gpu cores should be cool stuff. It'll be worth getting that for an entry level gaming rig, vs a dedicated video card and separate cpu.

My apu at the time of purchase was $150, I've watched a few videos that stated buying a low-end graphics card (< $100 ) was a wasted of money. I don't think you can't really beat the price to performance ratio of an APU, unless you do what chili suggests and find a good deal on an older card.

@chili, GTX 460 for $5? I would say that's a pretty decent deal for using the card for development. You'll need a PCI-E 2.0 slot I believe available for the card.

The GTX 460 can handle up to DirectX 11, but is still a good card. My son has a GTX 460 and it outperforms my APU by 150-200% and is only slightly slower than my GTX 560.

Just make sure to do the research on what your board can handle and what features you want. Starting off, a DX11 card might get you by for use with the chili framework, which uses DX11 and only uses feature level 9.1. This means the framework will require a Windows Vista Service Pack 2 OS and at least a DX 9 compatible video card. But let's say you get good at programming and you want to develop for DX 12 or Vulkan, you need a more modern GPU like a GTX 600 series from nVidia or equivalent from AMD ( can't remember what their earliest model was that supported DX 12 and/or Vulkan. Just something to think about.

There's always another option too. If you are running Window 8.1 or later, the Chili framework can be modified to use the WARP driver. The WARP driver uses the multiple cores and SIMD registers on your CPU to simulate DX capabilities, so no GPU required. The performance of the WARP driver depends on core count, cpu speed, SSE/AVX version and memory speed/latency, but at least you'd be able to develop on it without having to spend anything extra for the time being.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 24th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Try replacing the D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain call with this

Code: Select all

// create device and front/back buffers
	if( FAILED( hr = D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain( 
		nullptr,
		D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE,
		nullptr,
		createFlags,
		nullptr,
		D3D11_SDK_VERSION,
		&sd,
		&pSwapChain,
		&pDevice,
		nullptr,
		&pImmediateContext ) ) )
	{
		if( FAILED( hr = D3D11CreateDeviceAndSwapChain(
			nullptr,
			D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_WARP,
			nullptr,
			createFlags,
			nullptr,
			D3D11_SDK_VERSION,
			&sd,
			&pSwapChain,
			&pDevice,
			nullptr,
			&pImmediateContext ) ) )
		{
			throw CHILI_GFX_EXCEPTION( hr, L"Creating device and swap chain" );
		}
	}
If it fails on the first call, then it will try falling back to use the WARP driver. If that fails then it throws an error. If this works, you will still be able to develop and follow along with the chili tutorials.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » April 24th, 2017, 9:06 pm

If it's not clear what I meant, you can just go to the repo
Chili framework - WARP Fallback branch. If you clone the repo, make sure you checkout the WARP_Fallback branch. If it works for you great. If not then you might try chili's older DX 9 framework.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » April 25th, 2017, 1:12 am

Oh damn papa, I forgot about the warp driver. That would actually be a good addition to the base framework code, since the stuff we do in beginner/intermediate/3D Fundamentals doesn't really rely on the GPU.
Chili