dunno where to start

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
niceboobs

dunno where to start

Post by niceboobs » March 5th, 2017, 5:52 pm

hey im new here, but hey dont look at the title and just comment "go and watch chili's videos". so i watched the first three and got bored, why is that? because im familiar with programming for two and a half years and i study it in school python and c#. i didnt do any major projects, although im currently at the middle of my finale BIG DETERMINING GRADE project. so anyway, i know like all the basic concepts, if else, loops, a bunch of collection types, classes and objects, casting recursion threading and even a little bit of networking.
i really wanna get into game programming, you know all the cool opengl and directx shit, so were do i need to start learning in the beginner series?
would really appreciate your help
thanks guys :)

albinopapa

Re: dunno where to start

Post by albinopapa » March 6th, 2017, 7:12 am

Use the tuts as a way to familiarize yourself with C++, but as far as DirectX goes, I would look through the MSDN pages and Rastertek.com for a leg up.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Re: dunno where to start

Post by chili » March 12th, 2017, 6:47 am

I would recommend you watch my 3D Fundamentals series. It is geared to getting you ready for tackling DirectX / OpenGL. I will eventually be covering the D3D11 api and probably others as well, but the most important thing is getting a grasp on the fundamental concepts of 3D Graphics.

Once you have that, just figuring out the api should be fairly easy if you already have a strong background in C++.

As papa said, using MSDN and maybe a tutorial site like Rastertek can get you through the API stuff easy enough.
Chili