Visual studio C++ Intellisense

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
kappakeepo123

Visual studio C++ Intellisense

Post by kappakeepo123 » February 17th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Hey guys, I installed Visual Studio 2015 and for some reason Intellisense just won't work. I used to have the 2013 version and back then it would work just fine. (I checked the options in the text editor). All possible solutions are appreciated :D

albinopapa

Re: Visual studio C++ Intellisense

Post by albinopapa » February 17th, 2017, 7:38 pm

I've had intellisense be kind of finicky on me. Usually, the most trouble I have had is when I made a mistake further up the code and then try accessing members of an object ( obj.member ) intellisense won't work because it's stuck on an error somewhere higher up. That usually happens from copy/paste issues. Missing } after a { might cause such an issue.

Other than that, intellisense in VS 2015 has been f'ing slow compared to earlier versions in my experience. VS 2010 was the first IDE I used, and intellisense was fast. VS 2012 was pretty good. VS 2013 was the first one I noticed a slow down, but by the 4th update it was quick or I was just use to it. VS 2015 has gone the same way as VS 2013, slow in the beginning, but faster as updates are released. However, all this could just be because my HDD is filling up and it's taking longer to access stuff :).

Other than that, have you made sure it is enabled in the Options? It looks like you said you checked that, but just wanted to ask again.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

kappakeepo123

Post by kappakeepo123 » February 17th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Thanks for the answer, and yes I checked it like a billion times. Btw intellisense works fine for C#..

kappakeepo123

Post by kappakeepo123 » February 17th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Should I download the 2013 ver again? Also when I click on Edit/Intellisense in Visual Studio, it shows me all the options such as "List members" and "Parameter info" but none of them work..

kappakeepo123

Post by kappakeepo123 » February 17th, 2017, 9:14 pm

I clicked "Go to definition" on endl because I was bored and in the definition Intellisense works... How and why, pls someone explain.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 17th, 2017, 11:06 pm

What part of intellisense isn't working?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 18th, 2017, 4:46 am

There are so many things that can make intellisense lose its shit. I'm just happy that mine hasn't been acting up TOO bad lately (sometimes doesn't give parameters for constructors tho...)

VS 2013 isn't really an option because it doesn't have full support for C++11. In a couple of weeks VS 2017 final release should drop tho, and you can try that. Until then, you can soldier through without intellisense. It's a pain in the dick, but that's how tons of ppl do it anyways.
Chili

kappakeepo123

Post by kappakeepo123 » February 18th, 2017, 11:13 am

Hey chili thanks for the answer. Well pretty much nothing works. The only thing i can do with intellisense is "Insert Snippet" and "surround with"

MrGodin

Post by MrGodin » February 18th, 2017, 4:30 pm

I think I had a problem once with intellisense with it's database being used by something else, like if i had 2013 and 2015 editions open at the same time?. Oh i remember, it's if you open the same project twice. Probably not the case here, otherwise i have no issues with intellisense at all here on my side
Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back