Pong game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
enigmaTerror

Pong game

Post by enigmaTerror » February 12th, 2017, 3:26 am

Hey Chili, guys, and gals! First time here and I just finished lesson 10. I have a background in game design but always tried to avoid programming, so decided to finally give it a shot. Anyways I decided to try something on my own and create a simple pong game. And this is what I came up with. Don't mind all the comments, those were just for me so i knew were everything was lol. I also drew a court, but all it did was drop my frame rate like A LOT! I just commented out, but you are more than welcome to try it out. Does the framework support sprites? Or sprites going to be in any of the upcoming lessons? Also i wanted to make a score system, and I will once I get the time. But how do you display text on the screen? I was hoping i could display the score. Anyways I hope you guys enjoy and I'm more than welcome on feedback. Best way to learn is to have someone else critique your voice. Chili keep up the great work! You put all my Computer science professors to shame haha! Thanks!!! Also hopefully i uploaded correctly and everything works lol.
Attachments
Pong.zip
Pong Game
(142.25 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

albinopapa

Re: Pong game

Post by albinopapa » February 12th, 2017, 6:15 am

Test can either be done using GDI+, DirectWrite with Direct2D or using sprite sheets, take your pick.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » February 12th, 2017, 9:31 am

Good stuff man, code looks nicely organized as well! You just missed making it into an update video though :P

BTW, make sure you're building in Release mode and not Debug, that might be causing the lag when you try and draw the court. Debug is very slow (this is by design).

We'll definitely be heading to drawing sprites / text. Check the update video coming out soon :)
Chili

enigmaTerror

Post by enigmaTerror » February 12th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Thank you so much! And I will definitely keep a look out for it, again thanks for your tutorials!