how long to get decent

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Samszer

how long to get decent

Post by Samszer » February 4th, 2017, 8:55 am

hey guys, started learning c++ like a month ago, how long does it takes to get your head out of all the basics stuff and be able to think more about what you re doing than how you do it, i know its not gonnna be near one month, but how much time would it takes to get just decent at c++?

egizz983

Re: how long to get decent

Post by egizz983 » February 4th, 2017, 9:45 am

For me after first month i start coding space shooter game with takes me about month to finish (u can find him on forum) , then couple weeks to watch intermediate series , and after intermediate i was petty confidence , about my c++ knowledge now i am about 6 month is coding , keep practicing making another game , getting more experience dont watch much of videos anymore just asking a questions learning from my mistakes

albinopapa

Re: how long to get decent

Post by albinopapa » February 4th, 2017, 11:43 am

It varies really, egizz has made a tremendous amount of progress it seems. Another user, Yumtard, seems to be blazing trails in his C++ adventures. Me on the other hand, I think it took me about 6 months to be descent at C++ and another year to "get" the Windows and DirectX API's
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com