Noob learns to code in 3 months

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Re: Noob learns to code in 3 months

Post by albinopapa » January 27th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Your biggest problem is having game logic and drawing code mixed together.

The best way to remedy the situation is to think of it in four steps.
Step 1) Spawn a bullet
Step 2) If a bullet is spawned, update the bullet
Step 3) If a bullet is spawned and hits the top of the screen or enemy, despawn bullet
Step 4) If a bullet is spawned, draw the bullet

Normally, you'd have the constuctor handle setting the params, like it's initial X and Y positions, but it can also be done by just setting the X and Y only when player presses the space bar. After that, if bullet has spawned, update Y with bullet velocity. Check for leaving screen or hit enemy and change has spawned to false. If still alive, draw bullet.

Here is a fork of your project with the changes I mentioned: Spaceballs repository
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » January 27th, 2017, 10:34 pm

^ urrmuhgurrd you're the best! All of that made so much sense.
Thanks!!!

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » January 27th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Glad to hear it

The bullet thing has been an issue for quite some time on the forums with some including myself. I've tried different ways of handling it. I've tried putting it in ship, but had the same outcome as you. I've tried putting it in Game which i did in the forked repo. Even going as far as putting it in a place that can be accessed by Ship and Game so that it can be spawned by ship, and updated by Game. I kind of like the third option.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » January 28th, 2017, 2:17 am

Alright so what did I do today.

Well I started making a shitty game of my own. Had issues, applied the fixes by albino papa.
Then I spent HOURS
1. Going through the code by albino papa and slowly understanding better logic than I was using before
2. Made it so you can fire 3 bullets even if the first one isn't off screen yet yay.
3. Sexified the code a bunch. Moved stuff around to make everything neat

for example, here's all the code for my UpdateModel

Code: Select all

void Game::UpdateModel()
{
	ship.Update(wnd);
	UpdateStars();
}
and the code for ComposeFrame

void Game::ComposeFrame()
{
	DrawStars();
	ship.Draw(gfx);
}
Pushed everything to github so if anyone wants to check it out they can find it here
https://github.com/Yumtard/Spaceballs

:)

Main plan for tomorrow:
Go through all the code and make a lot of comments to make sure this new and improved logic sticks in my brain and make sure I'm understanding everything.

If I have time left I will PLAN added features with pen and paper before I start mashing buttons.

And if I have even more time left i might watch another tutorial :)

Edited by albinopapa to point to Yumtard's repo instead of mine, the changes he made are on his repo.
Wrapped the code in code tags

[code]
[/code][/color]

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » January 29th, 2017, 1:56 am

Today I ended up commenting and looking through the code.
I made a list of stuff I will want to add to the game:
- enemy ships
- mines
- 3 lives
- stuff to pick up for extra health/lives
- obstacles
- weapon upgrades
- game over screen
- title screen
- a complete level with predetermined enemies, obstacles etc
- a shield you can pick up with a shield meter
- engine exhaust

Then I watched the tutorial for sound effects.
Added a song to play in the background of the game and spent a little too much time clicking buttons in audacity until I had a non horrible sound effect for the ships canon to add to the project.

Then I made a class for health

#include "Health.h"

void Health::Damage(int dmg)
{
	healthAmount -= dmg;
	ColorMeter();
}

void Health::Restore(int restore)
{
	healthAmount += restore;
	if (healthAmount > maxHealth)
	{
		healthAmount = maxHealth;
	}
	ColorMeter();
}

void Health::Draw(Graphics& gfx)
{
	gfx.DrawSquare(x, y, healthAmount, height, c);
}

bool Health::HasHealth()
{
	return
		healthAmount > 0;
}

void Health::ColorMeter()
{
	if (healthAmount <= 100)
	{
		c = Colors::Red;
	}
	else if (healthAmount <= 200)
	{
		c = Colors::Yellow;
	}
	else
	{
		c = Colors::Green;
	}
}
Tomorrow I will choose one of the things on the list and start making a plan for it. And will probably watch another tutorial :)
Last edited by Yumtard on January 29th, 2017, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 29th, 2017, 7:34 am

Damn Yumtard, you're tearing into this. I'm havin' trouble keeping up with your blog posts :D Keep up the good work!

Let me at least answer your direct questions to me
Yumtard wrote: Awesome! What is SFML and why is it better for portfolio pieces?
SFML is a framework, like the Chili framework, but it has many more features. The Chili framework is purposely feature-poor, because the idea of this series is to learn how to do all this graphics stuff and all the underlying theory and concepts yourself. The Chili framework is made for learning.

SFML on the other hand is made for making simple games. It's a comparatively simple framework, but it still has much more features than the Chili framework. When you go to make your portfolio pieces, you'll want to focus on making the game engine, and not on developing low-level graphics routines etc. So that is why I am going to steer you towards SFML when the time is ripe. At your pace, I might want to get you started in it in maybe 2 weeks or less.

Yumtard wrote: Would you recommend after I've gone throught the beginners series to maybe go through the old beginners series and the intermediate series?
It can't hurt. Just be aware that the old stuff isn't as polished as the new stuff. There is a sticky post at the top of the forum which gives info on each tutorial from the old series. Use that to figure out what videos to watch from the old beginner and intermediate, and which ones you can skip.

Now I gotta check out some of your GitHub projects. Next update video looks like I'm have good material for the show-and-tell segment ;)
Chili

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 29th, 2017, 7:54 am

Yumtard wrote: 2. watched the tutorial on github. Understood the gist of it but will
take some practice getting used to for sure. A couple things were
unclear to me.
If I make a branch and work in it until that branch is better than
the master branch, do I now somehow promote my new branch to master?
can I make tons of branches which are all different games starting
from an empty chili framework and branch out into a bunch of games
from that one?
The general idea is you work in a development branch (also called a feature branch) committing and perfecting it, and then when you got i all working the way you want, you MERGE into the master.

Here's some more info on the workflow:
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials ... h-workflow

There are many workflows that can be/are used with git. As a beginner just experiment and don't worry too much about whether you're "doing it right". A sub-optimal use of source control is still 100x better than using no source control at all. ;)
Chili

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » January 30th, 2017, 1:16 am

chili wrote:Damn Yumtard, you're tearing into this. I'm havin' trouble keeping up with your blog posts :D Keep up the good work!

Let me at least answer your direct questions to me
Yumtard wrote: Awesome! What is SFML and why is it better for portfolio pieces?
SFML is a framework, like the Chili framework, but it has many more features. The Chili framework is purposely feature-poor, because the idea of this series is to learn how to do all this graphics stuff and all the underlying theory and concepts yourself. The Chili framework is made for learning.

SFML on the other hand is made for making simple games. It's a comparatively simple framework, but it still has much more features than the Chili framework. When you go to make your portfolio pieces, you'll want to focus on making the game engine, and not on developing low-level graphics routines etc. So that is why I am going to steer you towards SFML when the time is ripe. At your pace, I might want to get you started in it in maybe 2 weeks or less.

Yumtard wrote: Would you recommend after I've gone throught the beginners series to maybe go through the old beginners series and the intermediate series?
It can't hurt. Just be aware that the old stuff isn't as polished as the new stuff. There is a sticky post at the top of the forum which gives info on each tutorial from the old series. Use that to figure out what videos to watch from the old beginner and intermediate, and which ones you can skip.

Now I gotta check out some of your GitHub projects. Next update video looks like I'm have good material for the show-and-tell segment ;)
Thanks Chili :D I'm doing my best for sure :)
Looking forward to show and tell :P

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » January 30th, 2017, 1:23 am

Alrighty! So what did I do today to improve.
Well first of all I had a math assignment to deal with. I've started a couple math courses to increase my credit a bit and slightly increase chances of getting accepted to programming school.
It's just 8-10 programming students per year getting accepted to that school so gotta do everything I can.
So, math assignment took a lot of time away from programming but still had time to do some coding.
I added a Mine class and a MineManager, some horrific "animation" and sound effects when the ship collides with the mines. The ships health also decreases. It took a bunch of work and flexing the dome.
So finally my game is starting to look like an actual game! A shitty game but a game none the less.
If you want to check out the code or try playing it:
https://github.com/Yumtard/Spaceballs

The song I'm using is made by a friend of mine :)
haven't had time to check out episode 17 yet but will give it a go now before I fall asleep :)

chili wrote:
Yumtard wrote: 2. watched the tutorial on github. Understood the gist of it but will
take some practice getting used to for sure. A couple things were
unclear to me.
If I make a branch and work in it until that branch is better than
the master branch, do I now somehow promote my new branch to master?
can I make tons of branches which are all different games starting
from an empty chili framework and branch out into a bunch of games
from that one?
The general idea is you work in a development branch (also called a feature branch) committing and perfecting it, and then when you got i all working the way you want, you MERGE into the master.

Here's some more info on the workflow:
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials ... h-workflow

There are many workflows that can be/are used with git. As a beginner just experiment and don't worry too much about whether you're "doing it right". A sub-optimal use of source control is still 100x better than using no source control at all. ;)
Ah! That makes a ton of sense. Liking git more and more :)

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » January 30th, 2017, 2:12 am

Question for chili.
Right now the mines are just appearing at top of the screen. Would prefer to have them "glide" in gradually, but I can't start drawing them off screen. Is this something that can't be done with putpixel? I know you mentioned, in one of your episodes, something about an upcoming tutorial about a better way to implement graphics. Any idea which episode that will be?
No rush ofc just excited :)