Noob learns to code in 3 months

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Yumtard

Re: Noob learns to code in 3 months

Post by Yumtard » July 3rd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Study Update

Step 2, 3d fundamentals

Watched part 2.
It's interesting and I feel like I can learn some stuff but def wish i knew more about matrices, vectors etc. 100% will revisit this series later this summer when I have studied some math and some more intermediates

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 3rd, 2017, 4:16 pm

As a primer, you could also check out Chili's old Advanced tutorial series. It's 2D transformations instead of 3D, but he explains how to do the math with matrices and vectors. It's still the same process for 3D, so you shouldn't have too much issue, unlike me. When I first started getting into 3D, I wasn't sure if there was anything different between the 2D and 3D transformation. It took some searching on the net to figure out there really isn't, with the exception of larger data types ( 4x4 matrix and 4 element vector ).
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » July 3rd, 2017, 5:16 pm

^ thanks for the tip, good idea. I'll watch the old intermediates paralell to reading linear algebra

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » July 3rd, 2017, 11:19 pm

Wait noticed now you said advanced. Do you think I'll be able to understand the old advanced ones without going through the old intermediates first?

edit: looked up index for advanced... looks like just what I need.

maybe I should do advanced - > linear algebra - > 3d instead

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 3rd, 2017, 11:45 pm

Yep, the advanced tuts really cover vector and matrix math for the most part, so the intermediate tuts really don't apply. The HUGS series has some cool nugs in there as well that aren't a part of the tutorial series like line intersections. That is something I'll have to go back and watch.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » July 3rd, 2017, 11:58 pm

Alright! Thanks man :) Will put 3d fundamentals on ice and start watching advanced tomorrow.

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » July 4th, 2017, 4:40 pm

stooooooodie update

Watched advanced part 1 and the what's a tensor video.
Then played the vector game a little.

Good stuff

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 8th, 2017, 7:26 am

Yeah, 3DF is designed on the premise that you understand the stuff from Advanced already. You might hit a few snags following advanced because you still don't know about inheritance/polymorphism, but it should be too bad.
Chili

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » July 11th, 2017, 2:03 pm

^ Once I get there I'll look it up just so I can get a basic idea of it.

Anyways, had a few days break, had a bachelor party for my brother this weekend. Had to dedicate a couple days to planning it and spend sunday/monday being out of commission :D

Just watched the hw for part 5 of intermediate. Looks like my solution was fairly close to Chilis which was cool.

Will watch part 3 of advanced later today and starting to write down some ideas for a dumb click based incremental game I'd like to try and code.. Will need a bunch of text though so not sure if it'll work

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » July 12th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Part 3 was great repetition of trigonometry from school.
Grabbed my ti-82 and started playing a bit with it along the video. Already gotten a bit rusty about how coos, sin, unit circles etc works, video refreshed my memory