Noob learns to code in 3 months

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
DicheBach

Re: Noob learns to code in 3 months

Post by DicheBach » December 11th, 2017, 4:46 pm

This thread is epic.
The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies & drive them before him.
To ride their horses & take away their possessions. To see faces of those who were dear
bedewed with tears & clasp their wives & daughters to his arms.

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » December 15th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Game is looking better now. Just under a week to go.
All the mechanics are pretty much done, mostly just solving some bugs and polishing left. Hopefully we'll get it done before the deadline

Will post some gameplay footage or something once it's done
DicheBach wrote:This thread is epic.

Thanks, kinda dead tho :oops:

DicheBach

Post by DicheBach » December 19th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Dude, in a little less than a year you've (apparently) come a LONG way. I wouldn't call that "dead" at all. I'd call that VIBRANT!

Go forth and earn a good salary as a game developer, or even better: start your own "studio" and earn it all except for what the distributor skims off the top (apparently about 30% most of the time).
The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies & drive them before him.
To ride their horses & take away their possessions. To see faces of those who were dear
bedewed with tears & clasp their wives & daughters to his arms.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » December 20th, 2017, 2:45 am

Looks pretty nice. What are the game mechanics?
Chili

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » December 20th, 2017, 9:16 pm

@Diche
Thanks man :) I do feel like I've improved a lot. Especially these 5 weeks during the game project.
We'll see what happens in another year or two :)

@chili
Thanks! Looks a bit better now though. Will post some pics tomorrow (last day before presentation)
It's basically walking (one speed if using keyboard. If using xbox controller then the speed depends on how much you pull the joystick), jumping, pulling/pushing rocks and throwing your hair to build bridges or use it as a rope to climb up on.
During parts of the level you also get chased by a monster.
It's an atmospherical puzzle game

krautersuppe

Post by krautersuppe » December 20th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Yumtard wrote:I like it but haven't gotten around to use it much. We use the schools engine (tengine) for the project
http://tengine.se/
What interests me is though whether your school is liberal or not. Do you have complete access to source of the engine with all the explanations and documentation? Or are you just assigned and allowed to work with engine only in a prison like account access computer "project room" setting?
DSU
Discord: dsu1, GitHub: https://github.com/DSpUz

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » December 22nd, 2017, 6:23 pm

krautersuppe wrote:
Yumtard wrote:I like it but haven't gotten around to use it much. We use the schools engine (tengine) for the project
http://tengine.se/
What interests me is though whether your school is liberal or not. Do you have complete access to source of the engine with all the explanations and documentation? Or are you just assigned and allowed to work with engine only in a prison like account access computer "project room" setting?
"Or are you just assigned and allowed to work with engine only in a prison like account access computer "project room" setting?"

I think my english fails me a bit here. Don't quite understand the question. I'll try to explain how it works and you can let me know if I missunderstood :D

The engine we use is kinda "light weight"
There's no GUI and it's a lot less sophisticated than unity and UE4. This, I think is one of the reasons we're using it.
It's just like, if I wanna do something with matrices I can just #include <tgcmatrix.h>
and then I have access to functions like orthonormaliz() etc.

We don't get access to the source code (although they're trying to change that). We do get access to documentation though, and in the previous course we learned how the engine works.

Like I said, not quite sure how to interpret the last question :p We can make whatever type of game we want.
From what I hear, for the last project, students often work in unity or UE4 instead because it's faster/easier

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » December 22nd, 2017, 6:48 pm

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 23rd, 2017, 10:47 am

If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Yumtard

Post by Yumtard » December 23rd, 2017, 3:44 pm

albinopapa wrote:Tentacle rape?
pretty much everyone who seen the game said that as soon as the monster entered :lol: