Problem on Tutorial 15 syncing

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
BrandonFromHR

Problem on Tutorial 15 syncing

Post by BrandonFromHR » January 24th, 2017, 4:07 am

Hey everybody, I am on episode 15 of the new tutorials and I am having a problem when trying to sync to the github repo. I followed Chili to the T but when I try to sync I get a window that pops up asking for my credentials. I tried entering my github account info, my windows info, i am really confused as to why this even came up. Anybody had this problem?

HD SCREENSHOT --> http://i.imgur.com/Qt3Mfv6.png

chili
Site Admin

Re: Problem on Tutorial 15 syncing

Post by chili » January 24th, 2017, 5:06 am

You are missing something I stated in the video friend ;) This repo was cloned from my great_gitsby repo. Therefore it is connected to that repo and if you try to sync with changes on your side, it will try to push those commits to my repo. But you don't have auth on my repo, so it fails.

Watch the video again, and pay close attention. There should be a part where I clone from a repo I don't own, then create my own repo on my account, and then change the local repo so that it is connected to my new GitHub repo (which I own), instead of the origin repo (which I don't own).

I suggest your learn how to do the above, as it teaches you some basic git and visual studio skills. Afterwards, there is another technique which will be easier though. Inside of the GitHub web interface you can fork someone else's repo to your own account. Then you can clone from the fork on your account.
Chili

BrandonFromHR

Post by BrandonFromHR » January 27th, 2017, 1:46 am

Thanks Chili. I'll try rewatching the video and get it to work.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » January 27th, 2017, 1:51 am

Okay, I could be wrong as well. Hard to tell from a screen shot. Also, recently I think Visual Studio had an upgrade to its Git interface, it's *slightly possible* that this could be causing the problem. If you're still having problems maybe we can do a screen sharing thing or something.
Chili